What do you think?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VivieneLee

Re: What do you think?

Post by VivieneLee » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:53 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:31 am
I did a no-no and submitted a song I didn't write for the listing.
We've all done that at some point, I think. And I'm pretty sure we've all gotten returns on those submissions, haha. It's just so incredibly hard to take an already-written piece and try to force it into the parameters of a listing. It's kinda like trying to make chocolate chip cookies for your kids and having the recipe (listing) right in front of you, but you don't have any chocolate chips, or flour, or sugar. So you just say, "I'll just make them a grilled cheese instead", and then seeing the look on their faces when they were expecting a sweet cookie.

This to me sounds very 80's. From the chord choices, to the melodic runs by the bass, the harsh piano, the reverb, the drums.... everything. So I can see why the screener said it needs to sound more modern. My advice would be to surround your ears with music by Sia, Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa, Adele, etc, and banish any music pre-2010 from your speakers to try to lobotomize those tendencies from infecting your own songwriting & production!

~~Matt
Great analogy!

Yea, I can hear the 80's sound you described. Basically this was the perfect example of why its better to write for a listing :D

Thank you for your feedback!

VivieneLee

Post by VivieneLee » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:56 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:27 am
VivieneLee wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:16 am
Yea, I did a no-no and submitted a song I didn't write for the listing. I will be writing for listings,
Ahhhh...yeah, that's always a bad idea and much more likely to get a return. At least you know moving forward.
That Dave Fropf video was great, he outlined how to use the reference music quite clearly. Thank you for sharing that!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:41 am

VivieneLee wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:56 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:27 am
VivieneLee wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:16 am
Yea, I did a no-no and submitted a song I didn't write for the listing. I will be writing for listings,
Ahhhh...yeah, that's always a bad idea and much more likely to get a return. At least you know moving forward.
That Dave Kropf video was great, he outlined how to use the reference music quite clearly. Thank you for sharing that!
No worries, glad you got something out of it.