Anybody else using beat stars?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Anybody else using beat stars?

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:16 pm

Y'all do know that the beat for Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road" was a Beat Stars beat though right? He leased it for $30 (if I'm not mistaken, after it started gaining traction). The beat itself used a Nine Inch Nails sample which the beat maker cleared after the song was gaining traction. I think in the end the original beat maker at least got to keep a decent percentage of the writers credit, and a couple of NIN members also got writing credits.
Yeah yeah.... and the song "Panda" by Desiigner was licensed for $200 off of Shadowville or something similar to Beat Stars. People CAN land something major via one of those platforms, but those are the exceptions, and definitely not the rule.

Not trying to preach or tell you it's a dead end. You might do exceptionally well there. To each his own. But I for one don't waste my time or energy on that stuff.

~~Matt

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:49 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:16 pm
Yeah yeah.... and the song "Panda" by Desiigner was licensed for $200 off of Shadowville or something similar to Beat Stars. People CAN land something major via one of those platforms, but those are the exceptions, and definitely not the rule.

Not trying to preach or tell you it's a dead end. You might do exceptionally well there. To each his own. But I for one don't waste my time or energy on that stuff.

~~Matt
I've never used beat stars or encouraged anybody else to use it. I don't know enough about it. The point of my anecdote was that after all these years of chuckling at these rappers that I've recorded who download somebody else's beat, come in to the studio totally unprepared and just "freestyle" over the beat, thinking they're going to get discovered that way, well ends up that's pretty much how the biggest hit of the last few years happened. Which I think is a testament to how low the standard for pop music has fallen, considering not long ago Jazz was considered pop music and your average listener was capable of enjoying it.

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:19 pm

I'm not saying modern music is worse in general. Matter of fact, the best music I've ever heard is being made by a current artist.

My point wasn't about the beat, it was about the "artist" using the beat, and the public not being able to distinguish between a Bobby Mcferrin or a Otis Redding and your modern day mumble rapper. Has there ever been another time in history when many of the pop music stars couldn't play any instrument or sing or write? (Hell, I've recorded plenty of rappers that can't even talk on beat or even rhyme & some that have to have their buddies feed them lines). I get that ever since radio and especially TV there have been groups that didn't play or sing on their own albums, like Milli Vanilli, but the public wasn't aware of it at least.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:24 pm

There are plenty of artists from every decade that lacked talent. Tom Petty comes to mind, his band really sucked, they were very average musicians. The Beatles were actually average musicians as well, but at least they could write good songs. Tons of rockers have really sucked, and millions of average guitar players hide behind their stomp box collection. ;) Same for many other musicians... the sax player for Pink Floyd was just a notch above Bill Clinton as far as skill goes. Hell, you don't even need to be a good singer to be successful, look at Bob Dylan. ;)

The perception of crappy music is out there because we have the internet which makes any dolt with wifi and some basic software can upload music. Making it these days has a ton to do with luck... a ton. Look at it this way... every day Spotify receives 60,000 new tracks. That's a new music track uploaded every 1.4 seconds, for a total of about 22 million per year. I would hope given a basic Belle Curve distribution that a lot of good music is getting uploaded. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic