Is it necessary to have an ISRC before submittng?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

glogleemusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Is it necessary to have an ISRC before submittng?

Post by glogleemusic » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:56 am

I really hate asking dumb questions... but... I have so much I still don't know.

If so, where is the best place to get an ISRC? CD Baby? Tunecore?

I have a work ID that I got when I registered my song with ASCAP. Is that good enough?

Thanks.
Dan Gillogly
You Will Look Good B'cuz We Sound Good!
https://soundcloud.com/gloglee
http://dancgillogly.com/

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Is it necessary to have an ISRC before submittng?

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:02 pm

I've never obtained an ISRC before submitting, nor do I register my tracks with a PRO before submitting (unless the listing or circumstance requires it (ie, direct to supervisor, or in the case of specific libraries). I deal in film/tv - music for media - and in almost every case, the signing entity will do the registration with the PRO so that the proper shares of publishing and songwriting are allotted as per the signed agreement.

I'm not an entertainment lawyer, but I believe ISRCs are only needed if you are releasing a track or tracks commercially. Other folks here may have more information on this topic.

H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:07 pm

In general you don't need to register anything , the Publisher will handle it. Most don't want you to register the tracks with a PRO as it can mess up the process when they do their own registration

IRSC codes are for commercial releases not library music. So do nothing and you won't go far wrong.
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

glogleemusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by glogleemusic » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:55 am

Many thanks folks! I appreciate the help.
Dan Gillogly
You Will Look Good B'cuz We Sound Good!
https://soundcloud.com/gloglee
http://dancgillogly.com/

glennjamin

Post by glennjamin » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:20 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:07 pm
In general you don't need to register anything , the Publisher will handle it. Most don't want you to register the tracks with a PRO as it can mess up the process when they do their own registration

IRSC codes are for commercial releases not library music. So do nothing and you won't go far wrong.
Hi there,

I've seen this thrown around before so are you saying if you intend to upload your music to a Music Library, you actually don't want to register your song?

Or were you saying in general that publishers don't like when you register tracks with PROs?

The reason I ask is that I just signed up for ASCAP and bought a Distrokid membership because I was under the impression that PROs were to help keep track of your stats to ensure artists get paid.

(I'm new to the sync world too so I'm just curious at how this works exactly so I don't assume anything)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:17 pm

glennjamin wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:20 pm
I've seen this thrown around before so are you saying if you intend to upload your music to a Music Library, you actually don't want to register your song?
Correct if we are talking of libraries pitching for TV/Movie placements ( with one notable exception that I know of )
glennjamin wrote:
Or were you saying in general that publishers don't like when you register tracks with PROs?
Also correct. They have to register the tracks to get paid so your own registration is irrelevant , they will have to do another regardless. Sometimes having multiple registrations against a single title can mess things up.

It's not necessarily a dealbreaker but it can be a PITA for them. So don't do it. Unless they say otherwise.
glennjamin wrote:
The reason I ask is that I just signed up for ASCAP

When a library signs your track they will ask for the CAP/IEI Number assigned to you by ASCAP and add this to the registration along with their own info.
glennjamin wrote:
and bought a Distrokid membership

You don't need that to write music for Libraries, that's more for releasing your own artist tracks on Spoftify / Apple music etc.

Be very careful as a lot of folks assign Distrokid as their publisher without knowing ( a tickbox about monetizing your music ) and if you do that, an exclusive library can't take those tracks as they will be unable collect the publishing.
glennjamin wrote:
I was under the impression that PROs were to help keep track of your stats to ensure artists get paid.

A PRO is a collection agency, so they charge licence fees to all the broadcasters which goes into a big pot and is then redistributed via a very complicated formula to the writers who's music was "performed " i.e. played on TV / Radio etc.

They rely on the broadcasters reporting these performances to them so they can work out how much you're owed. It takes 9-12 months from broadcast for a domestic placement to show up in a PRO statement , they are often riddled with errors , mis-reportings, missing royalties etc so don't assume the PRO is on your side.