GOT AN OFFER AND QUESTIONS????

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheRealPatrickAdams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

GOT AN OFFER AND QUESTIONS????

Post by TheRealPatrickAdams » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:21 am

I have a song(not an instrumental) that has some interest in signing for sync. Publisher looks like a reputable business and has given us 3 options for signing this deal. This is where I get confused. Maybe you could help me understand.
1. Not a standard library deal.
2. Originally written for artist pitch.
3. There are 4 cowriters

Here's the limited details so far.....

"We've chosen your music because we believe it has sync licensing potential. There are no guarantees of course, but we have ongoing opportunities to pitch to this and other TV shows, movies & advertising where applicable.

This is not a publishing deal, rather we function as your 'sync agent' and administrator. Our Licensing Agreement has a one-year term and we offer the following options.

Option 1: Non-exclusive. We split 50/50 of all upfront licensing fees, you keep all your backend income.

Option 2: Non-exclusive.** We take 30% of upfront fees as well as 30% back-end income for that placement only (we do not take copyright) you get the remaining 70% of each. **US writers only or writers registered to US P.R.O.s)

Option 3. Exclusive for 1 year. We take 40% and you get 60% of all upfront licensing fees and keep all your backend income. Exclusivity can make your music more desirable to music supervisors- they see it as an opportunity to break an undiscovered song/artist.

Please read the following criteria* to confirm we can legally represent your music. If all is amenable, let me know which option you'd prefer and I'll forward the agreement to you. Thank you."

Looking for which option has the best appeal I guess. The pros and cons of each maybe.
Any and all help from those experienced with this kind of deal is much appreciated.

Thanks
Patrick Adams
Singer/ songwriter in the country tradition. Storyteller and musician working to connect the human race through love and song.
Email: padams_77@yahoo.com
Email: twangquest@gmail.com
Twitter: @PatrickAdams307
www.taxi.com/members/PatrickAdams307
Instagram:@patrickadams307

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: GOT AN OFFER AND QUESTIONS????

Post by Casey H » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm

Hi Patrick (the real one!)
While I haven't yet come across a deal with 2 different choices for non-exclusive, if everything else fits here, since it's only a 1 year deal, I'd go exclusive and maximize your placement potential. That being said, I assume you're doing your research as to the quality of the company, placement track record, other songwriters' experiences, etc. (whatever you can find out). Was this through a Taxi listing? I only ask because if it is you might be able to ask Taxi for a little more information if you need it.

Of course, exclusive means the song can't be signed anywhere else-- I assume it's not. With some libraries that even includes streaming releases on Spotify, etc. If that's an issue for you, ask them about it.

Good luck!
:) Casey

TheRealPatrickAdams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TheRealPatrickAdams » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks Casey. Not through taxi this time. I choice as well was with #3 for the reasons you state as well.
Patrick Adams
Singer/ songwriter in the country tradition. Storyteller and musician working to connect the human race through love and song.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:18 pm

First off, congrats Patrick! I'd do as Casey suggested and give Taxi a holler - if this contact came as a result of a Taxi forward.

If it DIDN'T come from a Taxi forward, that's where you have to be a little more leery.... Honestly, I've been in this game a LOOONG time, and I've never utilized the services of a "sync agent". Further, I've no real idea what they even do.... That's not to say they don't provide a valuable service, but I do question their necessity. You might be better off with a standard library deal.

Do whatever you feel is best!

~~Matt

TheRealPatrickAdams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TheRealPatrickAdams » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:13 pm

Right on! Hey thank you guys for getting back to me. We've checked them out and they are legit and double verified from reputable sources. We weren't sure because it was different for me than other deals that I've heard of before but we're confident they are a legitimate music business and hopefully we get some great placements with it.
Patrick Adams

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:43 pm

TheRealPatrickAdams wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:13 pm
Right on! Hey thank you guys for getting back to me. We've checked them out and they are legit and double verified from reputable sources. We weren't sure because it was different for me than other deals that I've heard of before but we're confident they are a legitimate music business and hopefully we get some great placements with it.
Good report, Patrick.
If they are legit, as you state: then why not contact TAXI and see about getting them to get on-board with TAXI A&R?
Certainly, TAXI would confirm the 'vetting' - and that could be a WIN-WIN... for you, and others. 8-) :P
Good luck; HTH.
Peter
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:32 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:18 pm
I've never utilized the services of a "sync agent". Further, I've no real idea what they even do....
A friend of mine uses a Sync Agent, it's usually more for artist types with a back catalogue that they want to get placed in TV/Film. The agent reps the music to various contacts ( Supes etc ) and tries to land placements in various projects for the artist in exchange for a %.

My friend has a fair few placements in a number of movies over the years but sync isn't his main focus, he performs and does a lot of shows as well as more corporate gigs. He played at Simon Cowell's birthday party once ( swing type material ) ..stuff like that.
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheRealPatrickAdams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TheRealPatrickAdams » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:55 pm

funsongs wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:43 pm
TheRealPatrickAdams wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:13 pm
Good report, Patrick.
If they are legit, as you state: then why not contact TAXI and see about getting them to get on-board with TAXI A&R?
Certainly, TAXI would confirm the 'vetting' - and that could be a WIN-WIN... for you, and others. 8-) :P
Good luck; HTH.
Peter
That's a good idea. I'll try to aim that way, but I want to build up the relationship with them.
Patrick Adams

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:16 pm

Sync agents are very helpful for getting placements. Good ones have established relationships with music sups and do very targeted pitches. AFAIK, they do mainly vocal songs (not cues) and often prefer (not always) that you have an artist career as well. I recently signed some songs with a sync agent who has a great track record.

Casey