i guess it depends on the screener

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: i guess it depends on the screener

Post by melodea » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:24 pm

Tunesmith wrote: โ†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:49 am
Hi All! I am chiming in!

I had 4 out of 5 returns. One not forwarded or returned as it was played at the Rally. And that submission for one of the panels Michael said there had been 500 submissions just for that panel!
My song "Warm Affection "was very 1st song played/reviewed at the Rally. Talk about a good crap shoot! I was chopping peppers in the kitchen when I heard the name of the song selected..couldn't believe it!
It had a good review (at least the song is strong) with some improvement needed. And that review was a great experience..much more than a return with some explanation and checked boxes.

Perhaps the RR listings not be screened? No forwards, no returns? Just a chance to be played live? Of course then the opportunity of the forward wouldn't exist but we wouldn't be all bummed out either. There are most likely more returns than forwards and not being for a specific listing like genre etc, it must be difficult for the screener to decide if those on that panel would want the material.

Basically we are getting "critiques in general" here instead of what could be improved for a specific listing. And that is in the eye of the beholder. 2 years ago I had a RR return of a song with a bunch of critique (basically go back to the drawing board) and that very song had been signed a few days before by a great library exclusively. Now if that had not happened and all I had was that return, I would have felt a little down and reworked the song. But it wasn't necessary after all.

Anyway what the hell is the moral of my spiel? I guess for me these RR returns I look at what seems a good idea for improvement and dismiss what does not. Especially if the song is already signed. I am sure those of you who submitted to these panelists were submitting your best so tweak where need be if you want and keep submitting those songs/compositions to every opportunity that suits them.

Best of luck to you all!
Linda C
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:13 pm

I can't see not screening the RR listings. They got a fair amount of submissions that are way below any broadcast quality bar. Those of us who have been doing this a long time and know what it takes to get songs in libraries sometimes lose sight of that big picture across a very large membership.

I think if people want clarification on Taxi's approach to the RR listings, they should contact Taxi about it. Maybe ML would discuss it on Taxi TV.

:D Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:29 pm

melodea wrote: โ†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:28 am
Casey H wrote: โ†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 am
melodea wrote: โ†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:05 am

This is one way to go. The other one would be to tell Taxi to make it more specific and therefore more inviting to submit.
TELL Taxi?
Yes

RickElliott
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RickElliott » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:57 am

I think that sometimes, it depends on the DAY too. I had the same cue returned by the same screener who had forwarded it a couple months ago.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:52 am

RickElliott wrote: โ†‘
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:57 am
I think that sometimes, it depends on the DAY too. I had the same cue returned by the same screener who had forwarded it a couple months ago.
But to be fair, they were different listings, all of which have different requirements and "bar". That is not to say they are non-human robots who are always perfect. But unless you post the exact listing text and the full screener feedback for both listings along with a link to the track here, it's all moot.

:) Casey

RickElliott
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RickElliott » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:07 am

Agree on what you have said. I was going to add that the style and genre fit. The return critique was on the cue itself, a 180 on what was said before. And I do realize they aren't machines, nor perfect. Not asking for another critique as my point is not whether the screener was right or wrong. With the 100's of submissions they have to listen to, I can't even imagine how hard that would be. It would drive me crazy