Is Dispatch worth the extra cost?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Is Dispatch worth the extra cost?

Post by DennisPMusic » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:55 am

Hi
I'm considering buying the extra Dispatch membership, but would like to hear from people who uses it and give me their feedback on the service, is it worth the price?

I'm composing instrumentals in different styles and get some of my pitches forwarded.

I generally thinks it should be a part of the main service, because it's expensive enough.

Let me hear your thoughts 😊

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is Dispatch worth the extra cost?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:26 am

There is talk of rolling all into one service so it may be worth hanging fire until until it's announced. Guess the RR would be the time to introduce something new ?

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:25 am

Yes, I have also read that, but it's over a year ago since it was mentioned the first time.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:45 am

Initially was supposed to be for fast turnaround requests from libraries, rush jobs basically, due in a few days or a week versus the several weeks that most listings have as deadlines. That aspect of Dispatch seemed to decrease several years ago. I submitted to dozens of Dispatch listings and had many forwards, but zero contacts. My thought is that libraries that need stuff in a hurry might sometimes be too impatient to wait for forwards and may find music elsewhere to meet their deadlines. When I returned to Taxi earlier this year I did not feel the need to also pay for Dispatch.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:52 am

It may also be prudent to pay attention to when they announce the date of the increase in the membership fee;
to see what is, and what is NOT, included in that. There could be some surprises.
HTH.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:07 pm

One thing you could do to find out whether it works for you is to wait until you're in the last month or so of your membership year, then pitch in for the remaining time. As you only pay pro-rata for what's left of the year those last couple of months are fairly inexpensive. Alternatively, you could wait until a Dispatch listing comes up that you really like the look of (because you can see them all even if you can't submit), then pay for the rest of the year from that point and you'll get instant access to submit.

You never know how it will go though, depending on what library requests come in, whether they are classed as Dispatch, and whether they suit you. I must say that I've been mystified as to why some listings are classed as Dispatch, especially when in some cases they don't attract enough submissions, so the listing is repeated as a normal listing. To me that makes a mockery of the whole thing, and I'd feel miffed if I'd paid the extra only to find I didn't need to.

One additional claim I've heard is that Dispatch listings are more likely to lead to a library getting back to you after a forward. I have no idea whether that really is the case, and suspect there's no way to ever find out, but its worth keeping in mind. Other than that, they're just listings and the 'service' (your terminology) is no different.

YMMV with all of this though, and no two periods (months, years) are ever the same, but at least Dispatch will bring you more submission opportunities.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Everyone's experience and results are different. I had Dispatch quite a few years back and more of my forwards resulted in contacts. But then as my own stable of libraries grew, I stopped using it. Then I signed up for it a few months back, since the fee is prorated by where you are in your regular membership year and I was fairly late in my year. So far, all the listings were for instrumental cues (I do mainly vocals).

Since you write instrumentals, I might give it a shot for a while. If you want (as someone mentioned), you can wait till you are, let's say, 1/2 way through your regular membership year. Then it will only cost $75 and 6 months is probably a reasonable trial period to see.

Good luck!
:D Casey

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:02 pm

I do mostly instrumentals. I've been using Dispatch a long time, and it's been worth it for me.

If you're getting some forwards now, then you should get more forwards by using Dispatch. More forwards increases the odds of getting deals and placements.

This is a tough business. I think Dispatch is just one more little advantage.

Good luck! Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:58 am

HI

Thank you all for your inputs. It seems that you have had different experiences with Dispatch.
I think I will join it because there are two listings right now that suit me. I will reconsider when my subscription is near the end.

Rolf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rolf » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:09 am

I do only instrumentals, so for me, it's worth the money.