Is Symphobia worth it?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MJTthePHD

Is Symphobia worth it?

Post by MJTthePHD » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:58 pm

I've been using nothing but Logic Pro's included samples for strings, brass, etc. but I've received feedback that sometimes it sounds "too MIDI." I take this hobby seriously, but not seriously enough to spend over $300 on any given piece of software, and my budget only really allows one big splurge like that per year.
So, Symphobia is on sale for one week only, 50% off, and I'm considering getting it - just version 1. Does anyone else use it? Is it worth it? Is it a noticeable upgrade from the samples included in Logic? Is there some other software currently under $200 that is BETTER than Symphobia?
Would love to hear your experiences!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is Symphobia worth it?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:38 pm

Which Symphobia - there are different versions , I think there are 4 now plus a free one you can try.

Like anything, it depends what you want it for. The original Symphobia is quite old now ( 2008 ) but I still like how it sounds for certain things. It has lots of good bread & butter sounds and I've used it on plenty of cues that have had placements.

They recently released a big update for it to V2 so it's had a makeover which has given it a new lease of life, you can find umpteen videos about the new features on Youtube.

I think if you want something that does a bit of everything and does it pretty well then it's a good option but watch some of the reviews to make sure.

Mark

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:12 am

"Too midi" has less to do with the actual samples and much more to do with how they are being used. Even the best and most highly praised sounds could sound 'midi' if not used in such a way that they sound human. Playing in chords on a keyboard for strings, for example... when in an actual orchestra each player responds to the music and the directions with their own subtle interpretations and changes in timbre & timing. That means a composer needs to play in each violin line separately with expression and change of articulation in order that the whole sound more human. Also the use of reverb can be telling, along with mic placement and panning. Even if you don't write orchestral, the way you meld your lines together for synth or background violins could sound less human. Percussion as well.

If you still feel you need more sounds many of us use East West's subscription service which gives access to two orchestras, great choirs and a host of other things. Spitfire offers LABs for free. There are some excellent quality free or close to free instruments from a variety of top makers.

If I were you I would start by posting a couple of the returned tracks with details of the listing and the feedback. We can help you then define what the screener means by 'too midi'... of course you might miss this sale but Symphobia is an ensemble based library which needs to be mixed with individual sounds to make it sound human (no orchestra plays perfectly from note to note in ensemble). You can try it out for free with Project Sam.

(Edit - Albion One from Spitfire is 50% off at the moment. An excellent ensemble orchestra. Same note as above. https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/albion-one/ )
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:25 am

Hummingbird nailed it. Post an example for feedback and you will receive some quality recommendations. That's one of the best things about the forum, IMHO. "Too MIDI" can imply too much quantization, a lack of volume or human shape to instruments like strings and horns, it could be a bad mix that shines a light on obvious samples (versus real instruments). It could be the actual instrumentation, like block chords instead of open string voicings, or super long notes on instruments (some refer to it as the "infinite bow").

Drop a link here, I think you will get some good responses.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Rolf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rolf » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:13 am

Hummingbird is absolutely right. You can change a lot with cc1 and 11 automation and more creative use of the articulations. On the other hand, Symphobia is very special (lots of FX) that could be a source of inspiration.

MJTthePHD

Post by MJTthePHD » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:13 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:12 am

If I were you I would start by posting a couple of the returned tracks with details of the listing and the feedback. We can help you then define what the screener means by 'too midi'... of course you might miss this sale but Symphobia is an ensemble based library which needs to be mixed with individual sounds to make it sound human (no orchestra plays perfectly from note to note in ensemble). You can try it out for free with Project Sam.
Thanks so much. I made three songs public on my profile, here:
https://www.taxi.com/members/mjtaylor

This is the relevant feedback I got for "Time To Vote"
"The virtual sounds are overly midi and synth-y sounding. You need to consider upgrading your sounds for serious sync consideration."

For "Drama in the Pit":
"Could have stronger virtual sounds."

For "Stringing You Along":
"Using some slightly more realistic strings with a better mix (they're a bit loud in parts) would also help get it there."

MJTthePHD

Post by MJTthePHD » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:22 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:38 pm
Which Symphobia - there are different versions , I think there are 4 now plus a free one you can try.

Like anything, it depends what you want it for. The original Symphobia is quite old now ( 2008 ) but I still like how it sounds for certain things. It has lots of good bread & butter sounds and I've used it on plenty of cues that have had placements.

They recently released a big update for it to V2 so it's had a makeover which has given it a new lease of life, you can find umpteen videos about the new features on Youtube.

I think if you want something that does a bit of everything and does it pretty well then it's a good option but watch some of the reviews to make sure.

Mark
Thanks, Mark.
Only Symphobia 1 and 2 are 50% off. I watched a few videos (actually, one you had recommended in another forum got me interested in Symphobia in the first place). I still haven't decided whether it's worth it for me, but this is the one I'm considering: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... 85e15c2b88