Interest from publisher, re-titling trax for library?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Interest from publisher, re-titling trax for library?

Post by Casey H » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:19 am

I'm not getting it. What's in it for him unless he takes a cut of something? Is he talking a piece of the publishers share of PRO? Of sync fees? Not making sense to me. If he splits the publisher's share of PRO with the library, no harm to you. Just get the splits outlined very clearly before proceeding.

thekeizer

Post by thekeizer » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:39 pm

Yeah, I just don't know. His bio and credits look good, if they're honest, and he's done workshops for the Songwriter's Guild in Nashville, where I met him.
He's about to do a workshop for the Indianapolis chapter of NSAI... https://www.nashvillesongwriters.com/pu ... ay-21-2022
I would imagine they vet their speakers.
However, he mentioned AudioSparx as a placement, and that looks like just one of those online production music "warehouses" that most anybody can get into, like AudioJungle and the like.

Anyway, if he's legitimate, I hate to keep putting him off.

Has anyone heard of AudioSparx?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:18 am

Ah, it make sense now, but NOT in a good way. The library he is referring to is the one you just mentioned. I had a feeling that might be the case when you said "adds AA after the title". We don't discuss specific libraries on the forum, it's against Taxi forum rules. But this is a deal you should run away from, not as much because of the specific library but because in no way do you need him as a middleman to put your tracks there. He is adding zero value, actual negative value if he's taking a cut of that. Say no to this deal. Feel free to PM me.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:43 am

thekeizer wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:39 pm
However, he mentioned A********x as a placement, and that looks like just one of those online production music "warehouses" that most anybody can get into, like AudioJungle and the like. Anyway, if he's legitimate, I hate to keep putting him off.

Has anyone heard of A********x?
library-contact-after-forward-t140165.h ... %20Library

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:42 am

To me, the focus in this thread shouldn't be the library itself (RF libraries have pros and cons and yes, anyone can submit there on their own), it's more... Why is a Nashville publisher taking advantage of songwriters by offering to pitch their songs to a publicly available music library for a cut? :evil: :twisted: It sounds VERY shark-y to me. If you are a member of the Nashville NSAI, I think you should let them know so they don't invite him back for another event. If this person had a fairly exclusive "in" with a good library that would be difficult to get in otherwise or ran his own library, that would be different. This smells horrible. :o

thekeizer

Post by thekeizer » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:32 pm

My apologies for breaking any rules. That was not deliberate.

I do believe I'll pass on this, I think I have other opportunities that will serve me better.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

Will K

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:50 am

thekeizer wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:32 pm
My apologies for breaking any rules. That was not deliberate.
Never apologise for breaking the rules and ALWAYS make out you did it on purpose ! 8-)

I think you are wise to pass this one up.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:57 pm

Wow. Just..... wow. How fast can you run? Because you're gonna want to stretch, get plenty of rest and water, then run as fast as your legs can carry you from this deal.

Casey and Cosmic are absolutely right. Why in the world is this guy taking a cut of something you could EASILY get on your own? Truly, this is "adding negative value".

Ugh. Again, yet another reason why deals made outside of Taxi should always be approached with the utmost caution. "Shark'y" is a nice way to say what I would have said, hahaha.

~~Matt

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:27 pm

The weirdest part of this is what the angle is for the middle man ?

It seems a pretty desperate way to try to make money given the library in question