Electric strings that feel like acoustic strings

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Electric strings that feel like acoustic strings

Post by CEMundt » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:55 am

So I’ve been playing the acoustic more than the electric over the last 10-15 years. Well, I figured it was time to turn on the amp again.

My main ax is a takamine acoustic/electric with heavy 80/20 bronze Elixir strings. I have gotten a pretty good technique on this instrument, and I’d like to start the search for an electric guitar that feels similar.

So, like the title says…in your experience, what electric strings feel most like acoustic strings?

Or what brands do you think the acoustic and electric strings feel similar. Maybe I’ll give the Elixirs some bench time.

FredGuggenberger

Re: Electric strings that feel like acoustic strings

Post by FredGuggenberger » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:49 am

CEMundt wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:55 am
So I’ve been playing the acoustic more than the electric over the last 10-15 years. Well, I figured it was time to turn on the amp again.

My main ax is a takamine acoustic/electric with heavy 80/20 bronze Elixir strings. I have gotten a pretty good technique on this instrument, and I’d like to start the search for an electric guitar that feels similar.

So, like the title says…in your experience, what electric strings feel most like acoustic strings?

Or what brands do you think the acoustic and electric strings feel similar. Maybe I’ll give the Elixirs some bench time.
Hi!

Basically I think, it is hard to find electric strings that feel like 80/20 strings for an acoustic guitar. The reason is, that the materials in the 80/20s are different to the materials in electric guitar strings. And 80/20s are not made to work with electro magnetic pick-ups ...

But you wrote, that you use Elixir strings. They have Nanoweb coat on all their strings. So in theory, you should have at least a familiar feeling, when you play Elixirs on your electric guitar.

Beside of the materials, there is another problem: You wrote, that you use heavy strings. Electric guitars normally come with much lighter strings than acoustics. That doesn´t mean it´s impossible to use them, but there are some things to keep in mind:

Set-up:

In my younger years I put 013 - 058 strings on my Stratocaster. It took a LOT of work until my guitar could stand the high tension of that fat strings. It would be good to know someone who can set up your electric guitar for heavy strings. Especially, when it has a Whammy Bar...

Tuners:

Some tuners on electric guitars are not build for heavy strings. In this case, you will have problems to get the strings thru the hole... Tuners can be replaced, so it is not impossible but again: There may be some extra work to make it happen. If this is the case, Vintage style tuners could be an option (in the 1950´s electric guitar strings were much heavier than today ...)

Scale length

They way, strings feel is also influenced by the scale length. If I would put the strings I have on my Gretsch on a Stratocaster, they would feel really heavy, but they feel light on the Gretsch ... Maybe YOUR electric guitar will support the feeling of heavy strings without using the hell of fat strings.

The saddle:

There is a chance, that the saddle on your electric guitar is not made for "too heavy" strings. I remember moments, when I had to use a rasp to make it work ...

I know, this is not the "perfect answer" to your question, but I hope, it helps a little bit. It also may help to look at the electric guitar as a "different kind of beast". If you could make it to get used to play the lighter strings that are normal there, it could open a whole new world of expressions like string bending, that you can´t do in the same way with an acoustic guitar. I play way more electric than acoustic and even there I have to face, that each guitar is different and feels different. But each of them also open a whole different world to me.

Rock on!
Fred

DolfoMan
Active
Active

Re: Electric strings that feel like acoustic strings

Post by DolfoMan » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:55 am

You might want to consider a hollow body/arch top guitar. Though those come with very specific tonal properties, you may not get the "electric" sound you want. You could also look specifically for a solid body with a carbon fiber reinforced neck to help get the set up of such heavy strings dialed in. Lastly, you could tune down to D standard instead of up to E and just use a capo when playing open chords. The string tension won't be as tight as your acoustic but you'll never get an exact match on an electric....unless you get something custom built for you...