Fans of Nord Electro 6D 61 keys?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CarlParadise
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Fans of Nord Electro 6D 61 keys?

Post by CarlParadise » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:40 pm

I'm in a new band that plans to start gigging in a few months, and I am considering upping my game with the Nord Electro 6D 61 keys, about $2300.

Anyone here have one or like them for live work?

I've researched many options, but am focused on this one because it allows you to turn layers on & off with dedicated buttons, has great sounds, and is lightweight. Two negatives for me are lack of mod wheel and price, though it sure sounds great and does a lot!

Currently my options in possession are a Yamaha MX88 which is too heavy for me, and a Yamaha S30 61 key which is lighter and has great sounds, but the synth keybed is not optimal for performance.

Thanks in advance!
https://www.taxi.com/members/carlparadise

Logic Pro X
Nord Electro 6D 61 key
AKAI Mini keyboard
Yamaha keyboards
Fender PJ bass
Fender XII Alternate Reality 12 string electric
Many other guitars

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Fans of Nord Electro 6D 61 keys?

Post by RPaul » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:19 pm

You might also look into the Roland Jupiter 50. It's a little less expensive (I think around $1.5K), and you can also do the layering with buttons, for example to layer a piano, a string patch, and a solo instrument at various points in the song. I've had one since maybe 2013 or 2014 and I love it for live. It's also got 76 keys, and is quite light (I think about 25 lbs. from memory).

Rick

CarlParadise
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CarlParadise » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:32 pm

Thanks Rick, I'll look into it - I've come across several Roland models on YT that looked interesting.

It looks like the keybed may not be what I want though, which is a great semi-weighted unit, preferably 61 keys. Also under about 20 lbs would be better.

Logic Pro X
Nord Electro 6D 61 key
AKAI Mini keyboard
Yamaha keyboards
Fender PJ bass
Many other guitars

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:56 pm

CarlParadise wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:32 pm
Thanks Rick, I'll look into it - I've come across several Roland models on YT that looked interesting.

It looks like the keybed may not be what I want though, which is a great semi-weighted unit, preferably 61 keys. Also under about 20 lbs would be better.
The Jupiter 50 is semi-weighted, and, despite its being semi-weighted (as opposed to fully weighted), it feels pretty good with their main piano sound (the SuperNatural one) -- I'm a piano player mainly, so that is the sound I use the most, layered with strings sometimes, but also just solo, even though it's got a jillion other sounds (including some excellent organs with a Leslie speed switch). Being a piano player, 61 keys definitely wouldn't work for me, and the biggest I could fit in my old car was 76 keys, thus the "compromise" of the Jupiter 50. I'd also tried a 73-key keyboard from Korg (whatever the shorter version of the SV was), but they were also too short, and also too heavy, and didn't do the nice layering like the Jupiter. (My previous live keyboard was an Alesis QuadraSynth Plus Piano, which also had a nice piano sound, but its LCD had mostly died, and the patch organization on it was horrible, and it didn't do layering as far as I can recall.)

It's definitely a personal preference thing, subject to budgetary limitations of course, on keyboards, though. I did play a Nord at one point in a friend's studio, but I think it was only 61 keys, and also not as intuitive to me in terms of settings. Then again, I've had more Roland gear over the decades (my first polyphonic synth was a Juno 60, back in 1983, I think) over the years than anything, and my current controller keyboards for the studio are an A-800PRO (61 keys, but fits on my desk) and an A-88 (nice 88-key, ivory feel keyboard for tracking piano parts). If budget weren't an issue, I'd probably be using a Roland RD series piano on the live front, but then I'd also be complaining about having to carry it as it is significantly heavier than the 25 lb. Jupiter 50. :)

Good luck with your search. I definitely recommend trying anything you're considering in person since feel is so important.

Rick

CarlParadise
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CarlParadise » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:50 am

Thanks Rick, all very helpful.

Yes, I would like to try anything expensive in person if I can, especially the Nord as I haven't played one.

I only need 61 keys because I'm primarily playing organ and synth/string sounds, not a great piano player. I reach for the octave switch if i need extra room - i don't use splits generally. But at home I practice on a fully weighted Yamaha digital piano, so I noticed when using an instrument for the band in the rehearsal room I am more sensitive to the keyboard feel.

We have a Yamaha MX88 for the band which sounds great, but too heavy to carry for gigs (about 25-30 lbs) and switching voices mid-song is not quick enough for me.

The Yamaha S30 allows instant switching but the keys are unweighted and plasticky. Good enough for now until I try a Nord.

The bandleader's previous band had the Nord and he still loves their sound. I like the sounds from Korg, Roland, Moog, etc. but really just need one kbd.

Logic Pro X
Nord Electro 6D 61 key
AKAI Mini keyboard
Yamaha keyboards
Fender PJ bass
Many other guitars

CarlParadise
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CarlParadise » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:09 am

I did buy the Nord Electro 6D 61-Key model, and overall it is a great unit and mostly worth the money.

Even without the pandemic, it is hard to find a showroom to compare Nord units to each other or other options. So I took a chance and like the keybed. (I have a stationary fully weighted 88 key Yamaha that I use for practice, to keep my skills up.)

The organ and piano sounds are fantastic, as are the strings and pads you can layer underneath.

The keyboard feels great to me, though people who want fully weighted keys probably would prefer a different kbd.

I used it at one gig so far and was able to cover 95% of my needs with just one keyboard, which says a lot.

The main shortcomings (aside from the high price) are the lack of mod and pitch wheels. Doing covers and originals this is a notable limitation. Also FYI, the architecture of the synth section limits what live mod options you can do anyway.

Most keyboardists have at least two units at a gig, so in this case it would be a synth with mod & pitch wheels. I bought some other equipment I will post about another time.

Logic Pro X
Nord Electro 6D 61 key
AKAI Mini keyboard
Yamaha keyboards
Fender PJ bass
Many other guitars

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:56 pm

CarlParadise wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:09 am
I did buy the Nord Electro 6D 61-Key model, and overall it is a great unit and mostly worth the money.
The main shortcomings (aside from the high price) are the lack of mod and pitch wheels. Doing covers and originals this is a notable limitation. Also FYI, the architecture of the synth section limits what live mod options you can do anyway.
There is a thread at https://community.gigperformer.com/t/no ... end/3940/8 that discusses some workarounds to the lack of mod wheel. It doesn't look like those would help for the lack of pitch wheel. However, there are also some notes about possibly using some external controllers, including based on mobile devices, so perhaps something along those lines could help for that aspect?

CarlParadise
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CarlParadise » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:08 pm

Thanks very much Rick, will read that...

So much great info in this thread from you!

Logic Pro X
Nord Electro 6D 61 key
AKAI Mini keyboard
Yamaha keyboards
Fender PJ bass
Many other guitars