Live instruments only requests & mock ups question

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Live instruments only requests & mock ups question

Post by BrianSteel » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:48 pm

Good Day fellow Taxi members,

Two things:

1)I noticed recently a couple of posts that are strictly requesting real instruments. In these instances, it was classical piano and the other was strings. Is this going to become a trend?

2)Will the music libraries or whomever take or sync an orchestral mock up, i.e. all DAW synth sounds or do they usually work with a hired film composer who will have a live studio orchestra recording done from a composition or mock up?
I would rather not waste my time submitting orchestral mock ups if that's not how the system operates and I don't have access to a live orchestra. LOL. Please let me know. Thanks.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Live instruments only requests & mock ups question

Post by Paulie » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:05 pm

The main goal of these listings is for realistic sounding instruments. The quality of instrument library software is incredibly accurate these days, you do not need access to an orchestra. Tons and tons and tons of trailers and other cues are produced entirely "in the box", meaning produced using software libraries. The key is being able to make those libraries sound real. This includes using the correct articulations, ensuring that instruments have space to breath (like real players need), you have to include dynamics, swells, etc. all to make it sound real. Panning, proper instrumentation and voicing etc. If you have the composing skills to create classical music, you can definitely find success using entirely software-based recording techniques.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:31 pm

Paulie wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:05 pm
The main goal of these listings is for realistic sounding instruments. The quality of instrument library software is incredibly accurate these days, you do not need access to an orchestra. Tons and tons and tons of trailers and other cues are produced entirely "in the box", meaning produced using software libraries. The key is being able to make those libraries sound real. This includes using the correct articulations, ensuring that instruments have space to breath (like real players need), you have to include dynamics, swells, etc. all to make it sound real. Panning, proper instrumentation and voicing etc. If you have the composing skills to create classical music, you can definitely find success using entirely software-based recording techniques.
Paulie, I know you responded to some of my other posts and with information that was quite useful. You didn't fail me now. Uplifting. Hey, that's a brief word. LOL. That's for the info & and the inspiration. I appreciate your presence here & all the advise you have given me to reduce the stress!!!!

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:22 pm

BrianSteel wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:48 pm
Good Day fellow Taxi members,

Two things:

1)I noticed recently a couple of posts that are strictly requesting real instruments. In these instances, it was classical piano and the other was strings. Is this going to become a trend?

2)Will the music libraries or whomever take or sync an orchestral mock up, i.e. all DAW synth sounds or do they usually work with a hired film composer who will have a live studio orchestra recording done from a composition or mock up?
I would rather not waste my time submitting orchestral mock ups if that's not how the system operates and I don't have access to a live orchestra. LOL. Please let me know. Thanks.
I doubt it'll become any more of a trend than it is now, but there will always be uses for it in the sync world, and the pool of people that can play and record organic instruments is smaller and probably shrinking, so it can be an advantage. Though, it's more time consuming than being totally in the box using midi. I'd say not being proficient at working quickly "in the box" is probably more of a hindrance than not being proficient at using organic instruments.