Re: Mixing Madness

Post by guest4254 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:56 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:10 pm
guest4254 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:52 pm

31 band EQ? Here's one for free...
https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2751/
Blimey! That's 32 bit only...I'm running 64.
Been looking around for other options, but always so time consuming with what little time I have available to me...

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:24 am

Hey Lesmac,

I am just checking the forum and found this post so just wanted to say thanks as I found it helpful and I think there are some great tips which I would like to try in here.

The only part I didn't get is the one quoted below specifically about the drum time's based FX. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on that please? (Are you talking about using the pre delay to let the attack smack cleanly or not using reverb at all on the drums themselves or not letting the reverb ring from the other instruments?)

Once again thanks man

owen
lesmac wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:37 pm

Another concept for a better mix is to think of material with transients= drums or instruments with fast attacks, as space definers. The impact of drums can be lost if its of other elements have heaps of reverbs and delays that drown out the drum's time based FX.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:13 pm

(Are you talking about using the pre delay to let the attack smack cleanly or not using reverb at all on the drums themselves or not letting the reverb ring from the other instruments?)
Hi :)

I was alluding to basically getting a good drum reverb/space sound. It's a concept along the lines of walking into a room and clapping your hands to hear the reverb time of the room and the idea that it is transients that help define the space.

I don't mean to not use different reverbs/delays on instruments. I'm a guitar player, I love delay and reverb :!: :lol:

Spending some time to get a good room sound for the drums is the thing. CLA has a video where he talks about the panorama where he uses, I dunno, six or more different time based effects.

It's common for mix engineers to put a click through their delays and revers to set the tails, how they ring out.

I guess I was throwing in something to think about in general.

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:57 pm

lesmac wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:13 pm
(Are you talking about using the pre delay to let the attack smack cleanly or not using reverb at all on the drums themselves or not letting the reverb ring from the other instruments?)
Hi :)

I was alluding to basically getting a good drum reverb/space sound. It's a concept along the lines of walking into a room and clapping your hands to hear the reverb time of the room and the idea that it is transients that help define the space.

I don't mean to not use different reverbs/delays on instruments. I'm a guitar player, I love delay and reverb :!: :lol:

Spending some time to get a good room sound for the drums is the thing. CLA has a video where he talks about the panorama where he uses, I dunno, six or more different time based effects.

It's common for mix engineers to put a click through their delays and revers to set the tails, how they ring out.

I guess I was throwing in something to think about in general.
Haha I got your same guitar player disease along with GAS!!

I think this is all great advice man as I never got into this kind of detail with the space thing. As you said we guitar players love reverbs and delays so in the beginning I found myself just drowning everything and of course it sounded really bad:) so then I went the opposite direction and got scared of using them at all. Lately I have been slowly trying to learn how to control them more and hence why this post got my attention :)

Will look out for that CLA video for sure.

Thanks again man and take care
Owen

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:47 pm

Lots of great advice in this thread. The "car test" is legendary, many of the greats use this technique to check their work. Have you performed some critical listening in your car, as in taking notes of every detail you hear that you need to change? while in the car, take notes of what needs to be brought up or down in the mix. Listen to the tone of your patches, whether or not you can hear any reverb or delay you've added, etc. Then go back and adjust the track in your studio and then go back to the car. Do this several times... (it's a pain in the butt for me because my studio is upstairs so I end up getting a good aerobic workout when I do this.) ;)

Once you start getting better mixes in the car, you should be able to start understanding what you are doing wrong. If you recently changed monitors it's a whole new studio basically.

And I cannot emphasize enough doing A/B comparisons. Constantly go back and forth from your track to a similar track running in iTunes or Spotify, etc. Listen to the clarity, the space, the eq, etc. You've basically got to teach yourself what to listen for in your studio now.

Good luck!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic