3rd Act Revision "Thrusters On" (Anthemic, Orch Hybrid)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

3rd Act Revision "Thrusters On" (Anthemic, Orch Hybrid)

Post by johndalenow » Fri May 06, 2022 8:19 pm

"Thrusters On" Anthemic Orch. Hybrid Trailer-style Cue
Edit Delete post Report this post Quote
Post by johndalenow » Thu May 05, 2022 10:04 pm
Whadaya think so far? All comments welcomed. That said, the more SPECIFIC the more helpful! Thanks in advance brothers and sisters.

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... al_sharing

ANTHEMIC ORCHESTRAL or ORCHESTRAL HYBRID TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Trailer-Focused Production Music Library that has landed TONS of placements for Huge, Major Motion Picture Trailers and Video Games.

TAXI TIP: This is a big deal Library that's BRAND NEW to requesting music through TAXI, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet! This company has had tons of success with placements with some of the biggest Movie and Video Game Trailers out there, so this is a great opportunity to create a new outlet for your music and begin a new relationship with an awesome company!

This Company is searching for Instrumental Cues that could fit on a playlist with the following references:

''The Phoenix Rises'' by Arkival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhyhwA5nKQ

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bpZg8V3Onk

"Sky Whales" by Kings & Creatures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4XOkw4bZE

Please submit well-composed Orchestral or Orchestral Hybrid Trailer-Style Instrumental Cues that exude an anthemic sound and feel, overall. Your submissions should have engaging, epic motifs, driving rhythms, top-notch arrangements, and three "acts" that build throughout to a climactic crescendo. Your arrangements should feature top-tier Orchestral instrumentation, and can include Sound Design, Electronic, Rock, and Hip-Hop instrumentation, as well. Please be sure your production and any and all virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and cutting-edge. If you are using virtual Orchestral samples, they must sound like the real deal.

All submissions should be at least 2 minutes, and not to exceed 3 minutes in length. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Please do not copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for overall feel, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, May 18th, 2022. TAXI # S220518AN
Last edited by johndalenow on Sat May 07, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Thrusters On" (Anthemic, Orch Hybrid)

Post by Telefunkin » Sat May 07, 2022 3:18 am

Some opinions, but no absolutes as I'm not a trailer guy. My naive view is that these things typically develop from a small sounding scene setter, through a big motion/action initiator, to a HUGE and powerful conclusion. There can be retro influences in the latest hybrid trailers but they always sound up-to-date and the production is always lush and top notch. Its a tough branch of sync with fierce competition, and nothing but the best efforts will stand a chance of landing the big placements (and big money). If a lowly producer like me can hear things that don't sound quite right, then I'm sure those who with sharper ears will spot them.

What I hear is...
- not a lot of content in the first act. Its basically a riser with 4 chords and a boom at the end. Maybe that's enough. The boom sets the expectation for the low end of the rest of the piece.
- The early part of the second act is a bit confusing. The weebly synth (too loud?) giving way to the bubbling sound (its only feature in the track?), which then gives way to the organ motif, feels like an odd marriage. The synth and motif become more comfortable when they work together a little later and are joined by the low-mid pulse. The rest of that act goes well, although perhaps filling out the bass end a little more as it progresses would help the sense of build.
- The pregnant pause ahead of act 3 makes me expect a massive sound with fullness that takes what happened in act 2 and sends it out with all guns blazing. Sadly, this act just doesn't deliver for me. The repetitive synthy strings sound screechy and harsh, and adding screechy horns later makes that worse. The whole section sounds dated, which is a shame after the other sections. Rounding off the high frequencies and adding some tasteful reverb might help a bit, but I'm not sure it would bring things up to date. Perhaps the low-mid synth part could be played using organic instruments?

There's also some distortion in those harsh frequencies (discussed before). Again, I really strongly recommend finding way to compare directly the sonics of the reference tracks with your compositions. If you do that you ought to be able to hear the differences, and maybe even see them on a frequency spectrum. If you can't hear those differences and the distortion though, then maybe there's and issue with your monitoring/room.

As I said at the beginning, just my opinions, so take or leave whatever you want from them. I hope something in there helps though.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat May 07, 2022 9:15 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:18 am
Some opinions, but no absolutes as I'm not a trailer guy. My naive view is that these things typically develop from a small sounding scene setter, through a big motion/action initiator, to a HUGE and powerful conclusion. There can be retro influences in the latest hybrid trailers but they always sound up-to-date and the production is always lush and top notch. Its a tough branch of sync with fierce competition, and nothing but the best efforts will stand a chance of landing the big placements (and big money). If a lowly producer like me can hear things that don't sound quite right, then I'm sure those who with sharper ears will spot them.

What I hear is...
- not a lot of content in the first act. Its basically a riser with 4 chords and a boom at the end. Maybe that's enough. The boom sets the expectation for the low end of the rest of the piece.
- The early part of the second act is a bit confusing. The weebly synth (too loud?) giving way to the bubbling sound (its only feature in the track?), which then gives way to the organ motif, feels like an odd marriage. The synth and motif become more comfortable when they work together a little later and are joined by the low-mid pulse. The rest of that act goes well, although perhaps filling out the bass end a little more as it progresses would help the sense of build.
- The pregnant pause ahead of act 3 makes me expect a massive sound with fullness that takes what happened in act 2 and sends it out with all guns blazing. Sadly, this act just doesn't deliver for me. The repetitive synthy strings sound screechy and harsh, and adding screechy horns later makes that worse. The whole section sounds dated, which is a shame after the other sections. Rounding off the high frequencies and adding some tasteful reverb might help a bit, but I'm not sure it would bring things up to date. Perhaps the low-mid synth part could be played using organic instruments?

There's also some distortion in those harsh frequencies (discussed before). Again, I really strongly recommend finding way to compare directly the sonics of the reference tracks with your compositions. If you do that you ought to be able to hear the differences, and maybe even see them on a frequency spectrum. If you can't hear those differences and the distortion though, then maybe there's and issue with your monitoring/room.

As I said at the beginning, just my opinions, so take or leave whatever you want from them. I hope something in there helps though.
As always, you're thorough and specific. I greatly appreciate your valued comments. I'll apply what I can to my efforts thus far. Thanks again, brother. Best!

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat May 07, 2022 5:28 pm

Telefunkin,

If/when ya get a chance, I would like you to give a listen to this revised 3rd Act. I made some changes based on your comments. Thanks so much much for your help. Best! John Dale

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 3rd Act Revision "Thrusters On" (Anthemic, Orch Hybrid)

Post by Telefunkin » Sun May 08, 2022 3:31 am

Sorry John, but now I simply hear more layers within that 3rd act. Perhaps the original strings and horns sound a little better, but the added effects now dominate the melodic components and the dated synth sounds are still evident. Also, there is only so much sounds space available, so there comes a point when adding more makes something sound smaller rather than bigger, and I think we've passed that tipping point here. On top of that, I'm now hearing even more of the high end distortion.

Honestly, I genuinely feel for you. It's always tough and frustrating when anyone pulls apart your best efforts and I can only apologise for being the one that's doing that here, but I hope there's some value in it for you. Its clear that you have enviable composition skills and are prolific in terms of output, but there are several issues with the sonics and without sorting them out even your most amazing composition could be held back because of distortion and mix problems. Ideally, we would all like a perfect production environment with the ultimate in monitoring so that no flaw escapes our notice, plus the composition and production skills to take full advantage of those things, and the taste to implement nothing but the most inspiring cutting-edge sounds. Its far from easy though, it doesn't happen overnight, and we're all a work in progress.

Just as a thought, are there any other Taxi members or audio professionals or even recording studios in your local area? Is there anyone you might consult on your audio setup, or for mixing advice, or even collaboration if you happen to get on well? There's no embarrassment in asking for help and it might just lead to a light-bulb moment that sets your mixes free and prevents them from holding back your music. I hope you find a way and I wish you good luck.

Having said all of that, its just my view. Maybe others will say I'm entirely wrong, so weigh-in various opinions and take what you can work with.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sun May 08, 2022 10:18 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:31 am
Sorry John, but now I simply hear more layers within that 3rd act. Perhaps the original strings and horns sound a little better, but the added effects now dominate the melodic components and the dated synth sounds are still evident. Also, there is only so much sounds space available, so there comes a point when adding more makes something sound smaller rather than bigger, and I think we've passed that tipping point here. On top of that, I'm now hearing even more of the high end distortion.

Honestly, I genuinely feel for you. It's always tough and frustrating when anyone pulls apart your best efforts and I can only apologise for being the one that's doing that here, but I hope there's some value in it for you. Its clear that you have enviable composition skills and are prolific in terms of output, but there are several issues with the sonics and without sorting them out even your most amazing composition could be held back because of distortion and mix problems. Ideally, we would all like a perfect production environment with the ultimate in monitoring so that no flaw escapes our notice, plus the composition and production skills to take full advantage of those things, and the taste to implement nothing but the most inspiring cutting-edge sounds. Its far from easy though, it doesn't happen overnight, and we're all a work in progress.

Just as a thought, are there any other Taxi members or audio professionals or even recording studios in your local area? Is there anyone you might consult on your audio setup, or for mixing advice, or even collaboration if you happen to get on well? There's no embarrassment in asking for help and it might just lead to a light-bulb moment that sets your mixes free and prevents them from holding back your music. I hope you find a way and I wish you good luck.

Having said all of that, its just my view. Maybe others will say I'm entirely wrong, so weigh-in various opinions and take what you can work with.
Thank you for your insight, understanding and kindness. I greatly appreciate them all. I WILL, eventually, find my way. Best!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun May 08, 2022 11:58 am

Hey John
Adding to what Graham said... Kudos for trying and learning. Never stop. :D

My opinion is you should put your energies in the direction of mid-bar cues first (e.g. reality and other TV shows) and don't put it into trailer music right now. Trailer cues are about the most competitive thing in the sync music business. This listing is obviously ultra high bar.

Work on your sounds, your processes, etc. Collab if you can. But personally I'd rather see you crank out 10 good 2 minute TV cues over this. Google will give you plenty of places to look for samples of cues in libraries. You have the determination and are not afraid of hard work. You can do it. :D

Casey

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 pm

I got a forward notification today regarding a trailer I did called "Same Dream". (turkish flavored)

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by myk247365 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:38 pm

Congrats on the forward. It's much more balanced acoustic/synth wise. Your other piece posted here is pretty heavy on the synth sound, perhaps some orchestral instruments can enhance what the synths are doing?

Good luck

Michael

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Fri May 13, 2022 7:59 pm

myk247365 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:38 pm
Congrats on the forward. It's much more balanced acoustic/synth wise. Your other piece posted here is pretty heavy on the synth sound, perhaps some orchestral instruments can enhance what the synths are doing?

Good luck

Michael
Thanks Michael. Here's the latest iteration, post input from one of the screeners: