PRO Request / Newbie question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JulesAntoineEscande

PRO Request / Newbie question

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Thu May 12, 2022 6:09 am

Hello
I'm currently discussing my very first deal with a library but it seems that the fact that my tune has ben registered to a PRO (SACEM - France) could be a problem, as the library wants the whole copyright, etc...
Did i act the wrong way? Don't you register your own tunes before submission?
Thanks for your help

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Re: PRO Request / Newbie question

Post by OwenGrech » Thu May 12, 2022 11:17 pm

It is best not to register anything until the library hands you the contract. Keep in mind that every deal will be different but generally speaking the library will register the tracks for you because they need to register themselves as the publishers and you as the writer. Usually it is a 50/50 but again every deal is different. This TaxiTV episode explains it best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z63J4A0bAo

Hope it helps!
Regards,
Owen

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri May 13, 2022 4:49 am

JulesAntoineEscande wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:09 am
Hello
I'm currently discussing my very first deal with a library but it seems that the fact that my tune has ben registered to a PRO (SACEM - France) could be a problem, as the library wants the whole copyright, etc...
Thanks for your help
Did THEY say it's a problem or are you concerned on your own? Generally, this can be handled with a letter of direction to your PRO which the library has you sign. Every library is different but I've been in this situation and it has not been a show stopper. Good luck!

In general, it's best not to register a tune on your own if you are pitching to libraries. The exception would be if a library specifically asks you to. Otherwise, they will do the registration if they sign.

:D Casey

JulesAntoineEscande

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Fri May 13, 2022 2:49 pm

OwenGrech wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:17 pm
It is best not to register anything until the library hands you the contract. Keep in mind that every deal will be different but generally speaking the library will register the tracks for you because they need to register themselves as the publishers and you as the writer. Usually it is a 50/50 but again every deal is different. This TaxiTV episode explains it best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z63J4A0bAo

Hope it helps!
Regards,
Owen
Thank you so much for your answer. Indeed, the TaxiTV Episode really answers this question ! :)
Last edited by JulesAntoineEscande on Fri May 13, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulesAntoineEscande

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Fri May 13, 2022 2:53 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:49 am
Hello
Thanks for your help
Did THEY say it's a problem or are you concerned on your own? Generally, this can be handled with a letter of direction to your PRO which the library has you sign. Every library is different but I've been in this situation and it has not been a show stopper. Good luck!

In general, it's best not to register a tune on your own if you are pitching to libraries. The exception would be if a library specifically asks you to. Otherwise, they will do the registration if they sign.

Hello Casey. Thank you so much for your answer. I won't register the next tracks before submitting then, for sure. Good lesson for me. The fact that i did register the song seems to be something they didn't expect, but because they offered me to write 4/5 more tracks for them, i suppose this won't be a show stopper !

JulesAntoineEscande

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Fri May 13, 2022 3:11 pm

Another question, if it does not bother you...
As the deal with this tune ("Once Upon a time") will be an exclusive deal, should i delete it from my TAXI Profile?

Jules-Antoine

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri May 13, 2022 3:40 pm

Fri May 13, 2022 2:53 pm
Casey H wrote:
Hello
Thanks for your help

Hello Casey. Thank you so much for your answer. I won't register the next tracks before submitting then, for sure. Good lesson for me. The fact that i did register the song seems to be something they didn't expect, but because they offered me to write 4/5 more tracks for them, i suppose this won't be a show stopper !
Great! But does that mean it's not a show stopper for the first track, the one you registered? That problem should not be insurmountable other than a delay while you fix it with your PRO. I don't know how it works with SACEM but usually you can contact your PRO and get the registration removed. Of course, if the library won't accept that, nothing you can do.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri May 13, 2022 3:42 pm

Fri May 13, 2022 3:11 pm
As the deal with this tune ("Once Upon a time") will be an exclusive deal, should i delete it from my TAXI Profile?

Jules-Antoine
Some exclusive libraries don't want your track appearing on any sites-- Soundcloud, etc. Others don't care so you'd have to ask. Why would you want to keep it on your Taxi page? You can make a song on your Taxi page private but then only you and Taxi can see it.

Congrats and best of luck!

JulesAntoineEscande

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Sat May 14, 2022 12:44 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:40 pm
Fri May 13, 2022 2:53 pm
Casey H wrote:

Great! But does that mean it's not a show stopper for the first track, the one you registered? That problem should not be insurmountable other than a delay while you fix it with your PRO. I don't know how it works with SACEM but usually you can contact your PRO and get the registration removed. Of course, if the library won't accept that, nothing you can do.
Hello
Thanks for the answer. I don't think this will be insurmountable. The Company with which i'm dealing has a subpublisher in France, they could also have response elements. For my part,I'm going to call the SACEM next week... We shall see what's told me !

JulesAntoineEscande

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Sat May 14, 2022 12:45 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:42 pm
Fri May 13, 2022 3:11 pm

Jules-Antoine
Some exclusive libraries don't want your track appearing on any sites-- Soundcloud, etc. Others don't care so you'd have to ask. Why would you want to keep it on your Taxi page? You can make a song on your Taxi page private but then only you and Taxi can see it.

Congrats and best of luck!
ok. thanks again for all these feedbacks and tips you're giving to me