Submixes and STEM - Newbie questions

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JulesAntoineEscande

Submixes and STEM - Newbie questions

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Sat May 14, 2022 12:49 pm

Hi

For my first deal, the company expect me to send them "At least 2 alternative/sub mixes as well as accompanying stems of the master track(s)".

2 questions here :
1. Do the STEMS have to be mastered ?
2. What do they mean by 2 alternative/sub mixes? Any tips to give me about that? (It is for a HipHop prod.)

Thank you for your support !
Jules-Antoine

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Submixes and STEM - Newbie questions

Post by melodea » Sat May 14, 2022 1:19 pm

Mastered Full Mix/(Same Mastering settings) Bed without leads/(Same Mastering settings) Bass & Drums (including percussions) only. Keep in mind that all I mean ALL the stems start and end at the excact same place (accurate to the millisecond). My test is to put all my mixes in one session on different tracks startin at the same time. You should be able now while it’s playing to switch from one track to the other without any time and volume glitch. It should sound like you just mute the leads or the non percussive instruments while it’s playing.
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

JulesAntoineEscande

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Sun May 15, 2022 2:54 am

melodea wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:19 pm
Mastered Full Mix/(Same Mastering settings) Bed without leads/(Same Mastering settings) Bass & Drums (including percussions) only. Keep in mind that all I mean ALL the stems start and end at the excact same place (accurate to the millisecond). My test is to put all my mixes in one session on different tracks startin at the same time. You should be able now while it’s playing to switch from one track to the other without any time and volume glitch. It should sound like you just mute the leads or the non percussive instruments while it’s playing.
Thank you for your answer, melodea !

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun May 15, 2022 6:59 am

If I read right, they may be asking for 2 different things. One is some alt mixes as melodea described correctly. The other is all the stems from the full mix. Stems and alt mixes are not the same thing though the terms are often mistakenly used interchangeably.

Requirements for stems vary from library to library. But this is beyond my area of expertise so hopefully someone with experience at this will chime in.

Congrats again!
:D Casey

JulesAntoineEscande

Post by JulesAntoineEscande » Sun May 15, 2022 8:02 am

Casey H wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:59 am
If I read right, they may be asking for 2 different things. One is some alt mixes as melodea described correctly. The other is all the stems from the full mix. Stems and alt mixes are not the same thing though the terms are often mistakenly used interchangeably.

Requirements for stems vary from library to library. But this is beyond my area of expertise so hopefully someone with experience at this will chime in.

Congrats again!
Thanks for your answer. I asked them directly what they were expecting... I'll let you know !

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun May 15, 2022 8:25 am

JulesAntoineEscande wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:02 am
Casey H wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:59 am

Congrats again!
Thanks for your answer. I asked them directly what they were expecting... I'll let you know !
Yes, that is always the best thing to do!