Has anyone heard of "Neighboring rights"?

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

waltergrund
Impressive
Impressive

Has anyone heard of "Neighboring rights"?

Post by waltergrund » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:30 am

I'm not allowed to mention names of companies here (I gues PRO's names are okay), but besides my rights as a composer, there are also the so-called "neighboring rights" which are not collected in every country (like the US) but any others like Europe for your work on recordings as a MUSICIAN. (NOT as a writer/composer)

In Germany we have GVL for that besides GEMA (for writers' royalties) of course. GVL hasn't collected any money from other countries than Germany so far. So I joined a company (I guess there are several) who collected my first neighboring rights from Brasil for 2021. Like that! GVL is for German citcians only (I also guess?) and I have been a member for 30 years now and will still be, but changed my membership for German territory only in 2020.

I'm astonshed that these neighboring rights haven't been mentioned by composers/musicians so far? Maybe because they are not collected in the US?

Walter

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Has anyone heard of "Neighboring rights"?

Post by hummingbird » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:48 am

"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:20 am

Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:03 pm

waltergrund wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:30 am
I'm not allowed to mention names of companies here (I gues PRO's names are okay), but besides my rights as a composer, there are also the so-called "neighboring rights" which are not collected in every country (like the US) but any others like Europe for your work on recordings as a MUSICIAN. (NOT as a writer/composer)

In Germany we have GVL for that besides GEMA (for writers' royalties) of course. GVL hasn't collected any money from other countries than Germany so far. So I joined a company (I guess there are several) who collected my first neighboring rights from Brasil for 2021. Like that! GVL is for German citcians only (I also guess?) and I have been a member for 30 years now and will still be, but changed my membership for German territory only in 2020.

I'm astonshed that these neighboring rights haven't been mentioned by composers/musicians so far? Maybe because they are not collected in the US?

Walter
I’m with NRG. Think they charge 15% of what they collect.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

waltergrund
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waltergrund » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:58 am

I'm also with NRG and am happy. 85% of some money is better than 100% of no money...

JulianBlackmore

Post by JulianBlackmore » Tue May 17, 2022 6:29 am

Also with NRG here (although most of my work gets played in the US!) :roll:

I've been chatting with my account manager and suggested it'd be a great Taxi TV topic. How do we suggest topics/guests for Taxi TV episodes?