Split sheet

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

3162Crew

Split sheet

Post by 3162Crew » Wed May 18, 2022 2:41 am

So I was looking at the $200k song (weren't we all) and other vocal listings and although I have many years of experience with music performance and education, piano performance, harmony, I can't perform pop music or sing to any useful degree, let alone produce a track to make it radio ready. I know some Taxi users have used Airgigs before and I found someone whose vocals, instruments and production seem top notch. He advertises the ability to take a piano sketch and vocal guide and turn it into a song.

So I assume this kind of thing is work for hire based on the profile on Airgigs, and obviously I would confirm that in writing before proceeding. But for a commercial project like this, is it common for someone to charge say $400 as a one off fee for doing literally everything on the track bar composition and be done with it?

Also, if he suggests some changes to the hook or instrumentation that really makes a song and I'm happy to put a split sheet together, does that automatically become a problem for libraries? On a related note, if I find a collaborator who I'm happy to split writers' share 50/50 going forward, can we submit to these listings which often say "you" must control the writer's share?

Thanks for entertaining a newbie here.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Split sheet

Post by Casey H » Wed May 18, 2022 5:05 am

Hi!
A $400 fee for a full song as work for hire is a very good price as far as that sort of thing goes, especially if the quality is there. This service usually costs anywhere from $500 to $1200 from demo studios. Just make sure you get a work for hire agreement signed by them. Splitting ownership of the song is no problem at all for libraries as long as you indicate the co-ownership to the library. It's very common. I sign co-written songs with libraries all the time. The library will register your song with PROs showing the ownership. One library I know asks you to register the song yourself and if you do, you would register showing the writers.

Keep in mind that the odds of making your money back in this scenario (work for hire) are low and certainty don't do it with stars in your eyes from a $200K listing. Many songs never get into good libraries and if they do never get placed. And getting placed doesn't mean your lifetime earnings on the song will equal what you paid. Only occasionally they will.

I am one of a few people who doesn't record/perform their own songs and pays for every production. But for me it's a fun hobby and the joy of seeing my song in a TV show is what motivates me.

Another option for you is find someone who will produce the song for you for the 50/50 split as opposed to a WFH fee. This forum is a good place to seek out folks like that. If you want to PM me a link to a rough sketch of a song, I *might* be able to make some suggestions. I would also tell you if MHO is the song is good enough to go to production, JMHO. If you don't have a link, I'll give you my email address to send an mp3.

Best,
:D Casy

3162Crew

Post by 3162Crew » Wed May 18, 2022 5:33 am

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I actually work full time in another field and just getting placed, even an instrumental cue, would be exciting. I had a look at your site via your profile here and it must be amazing hearing your work being used. I'm kind of curious just to see what one of my sketches would sound like as a proper work too. I'm actually wondering about doing a whole production course and maybe doing it all myself eventually except maybe the final mastering.

Out of curiosity, what's a 'rough sketch' - piano/vocal? Or me playing bass/guitar/keys and vocals to give an idea of what it sounds like?

And another question if that's OK, is the collaborators' forum the best place to find that? seemed a bit quiet last I looked,

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed May 18, 2022 10:33 am

You had mentioned a piano sketch so I was assuming that. Anything you you have that shows the chords and melody as well as a lyric sheet is needed. A piano and vocal, guitar and vocal, etc. If you can do more, that's good too. Some studios will work from anything including you singing into a voice recorder. You do need to know the genre and style and I recommend you have some reference artists/songs (youtube links) to give the producer a good idea of your vision.

Having been down this road many years back, I always caution folks to get feedback on the song itself before spending money on production. Does it have a strong chorus with a good hook? Well structured with differentiation between verse, chorus, and bridge? Interesting lyrics (universal lyrics recommended for Film/TV), and so on. A Taxi custom review is only $20 and it can be money very well spent. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this all further. I'd be happy to listen to a song or two.

Best,
:D Casey