Hoping for some feedback for UPLIFTING ACOUSTIC

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Hoping for some feedback for UPLIFTING ACOUSTIC

Post by BrentI » Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 pm

Hey all! Hope everyone's summer is getting off to a good start. I'd love to get some feedback on this uplifting acoustic cue. Particularly, I'm wondering about the mix, but any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

UPLIFTING ACOUSTIC GUITAR INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

This Library is searching for Mid-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Fly Away" by Ron Alan Cohen - https://youtu.be/R6-5aujnl5M

"Trailways" by Woven Hearts - https://youtu.be/f5eTI30hev8

"Black Kite" by Dust Follows - https://youtu.be/zkt58QOb0ug

Please submit well-produced Instrumentals (or Cues) with an overall uplifting, heartwarming, and introspective vibe that feature acoustic guitar as a focal element. Your submissions should have memorable motifs, excellent arrangements, and solid performances. We recommend crafting your pieces around a central motif, and creating a sense of forward dynamics and movement by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Instrumentation in the general style of the references will suit your submissions best – think acoustic guitars, keys, strings, light drums, electric guitars, etc. Please be sure your production and any virtual sounds or samples you use are high-quality and not dated.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Hoping for some feedback for UPLIFTING ACOUSTIC

Post by johndalenow » Wed May 11, 2022 11:19 pm

BrentI wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 pm
Hey all! Hope everyone's summer is getting off to a good start. I'd love to get some feedback on this uplifting acoustic cue. Particularly, I'm wondering about the mix, but any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

UPLIFTING ACOUSTIC GUITAR INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

This Library is searching for Mid-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Fly Away" by Ron Alan Cohen - https://youtu.be/R6-5aujnl5M

"Trailways" by Woven Hearts - https://youtu.be/f5eTI30hev8

"Black Kite" by Dust Follows - https://youtu.be/zkt58QOb0ug

Please submit well-produced Instrumentals (or Cues) with an overall uplifting, heartwarming, and introspective vibe that feature acoustic guitar as a focal element. Your submissions should have memorable motifs, excellent arrangements, and solid performances. We recommend crafting your pieces around a central motif, and creating a sense of forward dynamics and movement by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Instrumentation in the general style of the references will suit your submissions best – think acoustic guitars, keys, strings, light drums, electric guitars, etc. Please be sure your production and any virtual sounds or samples you use are high-quality and not dated.
It's simple, but quite nice on the ears. Just an idea but ya might play with substituting c minor 7 (maybe even add the 9th), instead of the repeat of the c chord in the progression. Instead of g, c, g, c try g, c, g, cm7 Adds just a bit more interest. Just a thought. BTW, lose the bell tree sound in the beginning (D and G notes) it competes too much with your guitar harmonics that come in a few bars later. Other than that, it's very wistful and indicative of what the name suggests. My two cents. Good luck!

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by myk247365 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:27 pm

I think you're on target with this one. Careful the bass doesn't muddy things too much. Try rolling off the low end of a signal before it hits the reverb.

Hope this helps,

Michael

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue May 17, 2022 9:16 am

Hi Brent,
The track seems very much in the range of the references. Good work!
My only critique is that the string pad sounds to my ears as lying outside the sound stage, bring it towards center a bit?

RobRaede
Active
Active

Post by RobRaede » Wed May 18, 2022 1:44 pm

Hi Brent,
I've been experimenting lately with different acoustic guitar mic'ing techniques. Can you tell me what you used (mic/pre/etc)? Sounds really good.
thx
Rob

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Sat May 28, 2022 7:39 pm

I'm sorry it took me a while to reply, but I really appreciate everyone who took the time to listen and offer feedback! I just submitted it (after making some changes), along with a couple others. Thanks again!

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Sat May 28, 2022 7:45 pm

RobRaede wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:44 pm
Hi Brent,
I've been experimenting lately with different acoustic guitar mic'ing techniques. Can you tell me what you used (mic/pre/etc)? Sounds really good.
thx
Rob
Thanks for the encouragement Rob! I went directly into my Focusrite for this one. I re-recorded it with a mic though (Audio Technica AT2020), and I personally think that improved the sound a bit. Guitar tone is always a challenge for me!

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon May 30, 2022 5:03 am

Hi Brent -- Very nice work here! Cool sounds and nice development. Wishing you good luck with it!

All the best,
Doug

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Mon May 30, 2022 10:18 pm

Hi Brent,

Apologies for the post deadline reply!

Nice tune and vibe! Stylistically I think this could fit in a playlist with the references.

The only 2 things I noticed were:
Low acoustic guitar sounds a little muddy, might also use some brightening on the top end.
The ending could be a little more buttoned up.

These are subject to my ears of course, we all hear things a little differently:)
Otherwise good job!

Best of luck.
Owen