Should I register with PRO if a song is being considered by an indie film company?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Should I register with PRO if a song is being considered by an indie film company?

Post by Merryband1 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:27 pm

I went searching for the answer here in this thread, but only found information regarding pre-registering before submitting to libraries (which I found very helpful, by the way! Thanks).
My song, Make Me Remember, just got forwarded to the indie film company for listing S2205230G. I was about to register it with my PRO when I remembered that it might not be the best idea. If you've gone through this before and had placements, I hope you'll advise me. I will hold off on registering it until I know. Thanks!

Merry

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Should I register with PRO if a song is being considered by an indie film company?

Post by Casey H » Thu May 26, 2022 1:32 pm

I wouldn't register it based on just a forward. That's not really being "considered" thought it's great that they will at least hear your track. If the film company contacts you expressing interest, I would register it then. Congrats on the forward and good luck!

:D Casey

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Should I register with PRO if a song is being considered by an indie film company?

Post by funsongs » Thu May 26, 2022 2:22 pm

Not to contradict Casey's point - but when I asked someone at BMI "when should I register a song?"...
the answer was, "When it has been released to the public."
So - I'm guessing it's up to you, or whatever counsel you trust, to decide if this attention & forward is equivalent to it having been 'released'.

Good question, and I'm interested to read other replies and perspectives.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu May 26, 2022 2:30 pm

funsongs wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:22 pm
Not to contradict Casey's point - but when I asked someone at BMI "when should I register a song?"...
the answer was, "When it has been released to the public."
So - I'm guessing it's up to you, or whatever counsel you trust, to decide if this attention & forward is equivalent to it having been 'released'.

Good question, and I'm interested to read other replies and perspectives.
It's very likely that the person at BMI isn't familiar with the music library world. That being said, in most cases it doesn't matter. Sometimes, if you want to sign with an exclusive music library, it's more work for them and an annoyance.

:D Casey

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Mon May 30, 2022 12:08 pm

Thanks, guys! That's what I thought, too. I think if the film company signs it, I'll go ahead and set up my publishing company (something I always mean to do and never get around to) and then list the song. I already have the label. I haven't released the song, although I have gigged with it. :) The indie film is a nonexclusive contract, so releasing it around the same time as the film might make sense. :) I appreciate the kind words!

Cheers,
Merry