Exclusive deals "no publishing"

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Exclusive deals "no publishing"

Post by kregdurant » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:15 pm

This is about # S220617CU

Curious how these deals work. Does this mean that songs should not be uploaded anywhere? For instance distrokid? Or if you're up, but self published its ok?

Hoping to get an answer this time, because none of my questions have been answered on this forum since I joined, nor have any of the other sync forums. Seems everyone wants to gatekeep the specific information and not give detailed answers in this industry.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Exclusive deals "no publishing"

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:23 pm

kregdurant wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:15 pm
This is about # S220617CU

Curious how these deals work. Does this mean that songs should not be uploaded anywhere? For instance distrokid? Or if you're up, but self published its ok?

Hoping to get an answer this time, because none of my questions have been answered on this forum since I joined, nor have any of the other sync forums. Seems everyone wants to gatekeep the specific information and not give detailed answers in this industry.
I looked up the listing and it says: ALSO IMPORTANT: Your Submissions can NOT be encumbered by ANY publishing, licensing, and/or administration deals (whether non-exclusive or exclusive) including publishing/licensing agreements with CD Baby, TuneCore, etc.

The way I read it, as long as no other entity gets a share of your publishing for administering it (e.g. 15%), you are OK. When you use TuneCore, CDBaby, etc., there is an option to allow them to be your publishing administrator. That would be the show-stopper. If you opted out, you are OK. AFAIK, Distrokid does no publishing, so it should be OK. Simply placing your songs on sites like Soundcloud should not be a problem, again as long as they are not doing publishing admin. This is to the best of my knowledge and you may want to verify this with Taxi by dropping them an email: memberservices AT taxi dot com.

Good luck!
:D Casey