Songtrust and publishing

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Songtrust and publishing

Post by kregdurant » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:51 pm

If you use songtrust to collect royalties i assume this is a no go for 100% publishing deals, being since they are a publishing admin?

Thats frustrating, because it doesn't allow you to collect the writers share for streaming unless you have a publishing admin.

Should i just not sign up for songtrust, and rely on getting a placement then?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Songtrust and publishing

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:54 am

There's one easy way to be sure about all the complicated issues you've raise recently regarding existing music and existing deals - separate your music into two piles.

In the first pile you can keep all your existing music and existing deals, but forget it in terms of sync.

In the second pile you can make completely new tracks for sync according to the briefs so they'll be more appropriate, and totally unencumbered by hangover complexities. If those tracks don't gain any traction for sync there's no loss because you can always swap them to the other pile with your older tracks, but consider that there's no way back once they're tied up under other deals.

Just a thought. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Songtrust and publishing

Post by kregdurant » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:54 am
There's one easy way to be sure about all the complicated issues you've raise recently regarding existing music and existing deals - separate your music into two piles.

In the first pile you can keep all your existing music and existing deals, but forget it in terms of sync.

In the second pile you can make completely new tracks for sync according to the briefs so they'll be more appropriate, and totally unencumbered by hangover complexities. If those tracks don't gain any traction for sync there's no loss because you can always swap them to the other pile with your older tracks, but consider that there's no way back once they're tied up under other deals.

Just a thought. :)
Yeah I've been thinking about this alot lol. I'm just now getting into sync. I've got an artist project, that I would like sync placements for, but at the same time, It's an artist project, so the songs need to be released, and collect royalties. I don't know how to approach that other than "cautiously". And 1 of those songs Robin Fredrick herself said was suited for a big box brand commercial (which that song is releasing soon and i'm very cautious with it right now)

On the other hand, I have songs to pitch to other artists, and instrumentals, and cues, that I don't have to worry about, and can just "write submit and forget."

None of my songs have deals, and i've been waiting to submit until I make sure I have as much knowledge as I can going into the process. SOOOOO much taxi tv the past 2 weeks,