ISRC and Metadata in submissions

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

ISRC and Metadata in submissions

Post by kregdurant » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:49 pm

I assume we should be adding the ISRC into the metadata yes? What other things do you put in your meta data, and in what field? I've started putting contact in the comment section, just curious what else.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: ISRC and Metadata in submissions

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:27 pm

kregdurant wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:49 pm
I assume we should be adding the ISRC into the metadata yes? What other things do you put in your meta data, and in what field? I've started putting contact in the comment section, just curious what else.
ISRC codes are meaningless in the world of Film/TV music libraries and most sync in general. The most important thing to put in your music files as far as metadata is your contact info, name, email address, phone number. Keep in mind that wav files don't hold metadata, only mp3s and aifs do.

You want to be sure that if for some reason your music file gets separated from it's source-- email or download, and the person listening is interested in it, they can contact the owner. If a song gets accepted by a library, they will have their own process for you to provide additional metadata and every library does this differently-- some with spreadsheets, some with on-line data entry, etc.

Best,
:D Casey

timothycook
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timothycook » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:27 pm
The most important thing to put in your music files as far as metadata is your contact info, name, email address, phone number. Keep in mind that wav files don't hold metadata, only mp3s and aifs do.

You want to be sure that if for some reason your music file gets separated from it's source-- email or download, and the person listening is interested in it, they can contact the owner. If a song gets accepted by a library, they will have their own process for you to provide additional metadata and every library does this differently-- some with spreadsheets, some with on-line data entry, etc.

Best,
A pretty brave thing of mine to disagree with Casey. ;) :)

But if I enter Metadata as ID3 formatted and then open one of my .wav files, I can see all of the Metadata. Apologies the screenshot won't attach properly but I email it to you if you wish.
“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin

See: https://soundcloud.com/timothywcook

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:21 am

timothycook wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 pm
Casey H wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:27 pm
The most important thing to put in your music files as far as metadata is your contact info, name, email address, phone number. Keep in mind that wav files don't hold metadata, only mp3s and aifs do.

Best,
A pretty brave thing of mine to disagree with Casey. ;) :)

But if I enter Metadata as ID3 formatted and then open one of my .wav files, I can see all of the Metadata. Apologies the screenshot won't attach properly but I email it to you if you wish.
**YOU** can see that metadata but if you send that wav file to someone else, there is an excellent chance it won't be visible to them as it depends a lot on what application is working with the file.

timothycook
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timothycook » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:02 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:21 am

**YOU** can see that metadata but if you send that wav file to someone else, there is an excellent chance it won't be visible to them as it depends a lot on what application is working with the file.
Do you only upload MP3s to Taxi?
“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:14 pm

timothycook wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:02 pm
Casey H wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:21 am

Do you only upload MP3s to Taxi?
I usually upload 320K mp3 which has sound quality very close to wav/aif. This being said, while it's good practice to always tag your music files with contact info, with Taxi it's lower risk as Taxi provides all the info to the client.

What I often do when a project is done is, with a converter tool, create a 320K, 192K, and 128K mp3 and tag them all at the same time. I have one library that always wants 320K mp3 and a "critical" one we all know asks for 128K for submissions.

One thing I can assure folks of. Your forward/non-forward decision will never depend on whether you uploaded mp3 or wav, especially with higher mp3 resolutions. Good mixes will sound fine as mp3 to any screener's ears.
Last edited by Casey H on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timothycook
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timothycook » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Thanks Casey.