Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: ISRC and Metadata in submissions

Post by kregdurant » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:45 pm

Casey H wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:31 pm
Every writer and every publisher has what's called a CAE/IPI#. When you join a PRO, you are assigned one.

When music is used on a TV show, the TV show production company files a cue sheet with the PROs (ASCAP, BMI, etc.). The cue sheet lists all the cues, the time lengths, how it was used (background, feature, etc.), the writer and their CAE#, and the publisher and their CAE#. This is how you get paid your PRO royalties. Based on cue sheets, the PRO pays the members.

Have you joined a PRO yet?

:) Casey
also i've watched taxi tv 7 hours a day for the last 2 weeks, and i JUST now got this question answered in it. So much info there, but its just so spread out.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:19 pm

kregdurant wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am
Ok i think I have my last question (I finally found the search function for the forum, but surprisingly this wasn't asked). Now in regards to Publishing Admins (like song trust). I know in an EXCLUSIVE deal, publishing admins are a no go, but when it comes to say an ARTIST project
and you need to be able to collect all royalties, where you are submitting to NON-Exclusive deals where they re-retitle the song, does this cause issues, and are you less likely to even get a non exclusive deal in this case?
If so, is there a work around? Because that seems to put artists in a disadvantage in that situation.
Assigning publishing admin to any other party can be a problem with ALL libraries, exclusive or non-exclusive. One Taxi-friendly non-exclusive library (a VERY good, successful one) will not sign your songs if anyone has publishing admin.

There is really no reason to ever assign publishing admin AFAIK and it's best to avoid. You can release your songs for streaming, downloads, CD sales, etc without doing that using Distrokid (they never do that), CD Baby, etc-- Just make sure you don't check any boxes that approve that. Personally, I see no value add in songtrust thought I don't know a lot about them. AFAIK, they do nothing that you can't do yourself.

Bottom line is don't assign publishing admin and it shouldn't be a disadvantage regarding other usages.

:D Casey

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:45 pm

Casey H wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:19 pm
kregdurant wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am
Ok i think I have my last question (I finally found the search function for the forum, but surprisingly this wasn't asked). Now in regards to Publishing Admins (like song trust). I know in an EXCLUSIVE deal, publishing admins are a no go, but when it comes to say an ARTIST project
and you need to be able to collect all royalties, where you are submitting to NON-Exclusive deals where they re-retitle the song, does this cause issues, and are you less likely to even get a non exclusive deal in this case?
If so, is there a work around? Because that seems to put artists in a disadvantage in that situation.
Assigning publishing admin to any other party can be a problem with ALL libraries, exclusive or non-exclusive. One Taxi-friendly non-exclusive library (a VERY good, successful one) will not sign your songs if anyone has publishing admin.

There is really no reason to ever assign publishing admin AFAIK and it's best to avoid. You can release your songs for streaming, downloads, CD sales, etc without doing that using Distrokid (they never do that), CD Baby, etc-- Just make sure you don't check any boxes that approve that. Personally, I see no value add in songtrust thought I don't know a lot about them. AFAIK, they do nothing that you can't do yourself.

Bottom line is don't assign publishing admin and it shouldn't be a disadvantage regarding other usages.

Songtrust collects the publishing and writers streaming royalties, worldwide, from all of the agencies, so you don't have to go and collect them all yourself and sends them to your PRO. I currently use distrokid, which is fine for the artist's share, but theres just money from the writers share thats just floating out there in the void. Is there an alternative, or is it just simply "maybe you see it one day, maybe you don't". That just seem morally bankrupt to me.
I see why in a instrumental, or cue fashion why it would be pointless to do it, but in an artist sense, it should be allowed, but thats all just opinion. Feel bad for all the songwriters getting just essentially robbed of their streaming royalties, especially if a song gets placed (like Running up the hill in stranger things) and the streaming numbers skyrocket after it airs, cool you get the sync fees, but writers share for streaming just disappears.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:18 pm

I'm getting away from my area of knowledge here so it would be best if others answer regarding collecting those streaming royalties. I'm pretty sure there are ways to collect without having to assign publishing admin. The other thing to think about is, "How much money are we talking about here?". The tradeoff might not be worth it. Hopefully someone who knows more about this will chime in.

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:44 pm

Casey H wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:18 pm
I'm getting away from my area of knowledge here so it would be best if others answer regarding collecting those streaming royalties. I'm pretty sure there are ways to collect without having to assign publishing admin. The other thing to think about is, "How much money are we talking about here?". The tradeoff might not be worth it. Hopefully someone who knows more about this will chime in.

I guess i should start a new topic on this then lol. I think I did one similar but no answers on it so we will see.