Looking for feedback on 2 songs

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Looking for feedback on 2 songs

Post by kregdurant » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:23 pm

Hi I have 2 pop songs i'm looking to see what yall think about them. Not sure what placements currently out they would fit, or even what genre theyd fit in.

"Banzai" - Alt-Pop?

https://www.taxi.com/members/E1FSWUNVSy ... oVw-banzai

This one is currently getting remixed and mastered, we hired people last time, but now that our studio is built, we want to do it justice, because this mix didn't.
One of the screeners said this sounds more like "RNB" than pop on this one, which definitely threw me off quite a bit (especially when the same screener forwarded it a week later for a pop listing lol)
I kind of submitted this one to everything that said "pop" because it was just the first track that was ready

"Aint got Love" - Pop? Indie rock? Singer songwriter? A hybrid?

https://www.taxi.com/members/E1FSWUNVSy ... t-got-love

I'm not the biggest fan of the 1st verse music on this, but this one is definitely the best song i've written, which is funny because just reading the lyrics just seems like illiterate nonsense, Robin Fredrick even loved it, so I'll take that has a "W". lol

Just wanna know yalls thoughts overall and on what Listings I should be on the lookout for, and maybe what to keep in mind when working on the next tracks production wise.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Looking for feedback on 2 songs

Post by DouglasKnight » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:45 am

kregdurant wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:23 pm
Hi I have 2 pop songs i'm looking to see what yall think about them. Not sure what placements currently out they would fit, or even what genre theyd fit in.

"Banzai" - Alt-Pop?

This one is currently getting remixed and mastered, we hired people last time, but now that our studio is built, we want to do it justice, because this mix didn't.
One of the screeners said this sounds more like "RNB" than pop on this one, which definitely threw me off quite a bit (especially when the same screener forwarded it a week later for a pop listing lol)
I kind of submitted this one to everything that said "pop" because it was just the first track that was ready

I'm not the biggest fan of the 1st verse music on this, but this one is definitely the best song i've written, which is funny because just reading the lyrics just seems like illiterate nonsense, Robin Fredrick even loved it, so I'll take that has a "W". lol

Just wanna know yalls thoughts overall and on what Listings I should be on the lookout for, and maybe what to keep in mind when working on the next tracks production wise.

Hey Kreg--

Both of the tracks sound great to me, very well done! I'm not 100% on all of the sub-genres these days, but I think you're right to be watching for listings for any style of pop (alt, Indie, etc.) and then comparing the tracks to the references provided. Production-wise, awesome work! HTH, Doug

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:41 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:45 am
kregdurant wrote:

"Banzai" - Alt-Pop?

Hey Kreg--

Both of the tracks sound great to me, very well done! I'm not 100% on all of the sub-genres these days, but I think you're right to be watching for listings for any style of pop (alt, Indie, etc.) and then comparing the tracks to the references provided. Production-wise, awesome work! HTH, Doug
Well thank you Doug. Yeah it's a weird boat to be in, like i feel like Aint god love could suit like a Pepsi superbowl commercial vibe, but I really just can't place the genre. Hard to crack the code on it. I think Alt-pop and Indie pop? maybe thats a thing. No idea lol

Rockinpop
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Rockinpop » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:26 am

kregdurant wrote:

"Banzai" - Alt-Pop?

Hey Kreg,
Both songs have great melodies and your vocals sound perfect for the style. I also enjoy the way the instruments are introduced.
One thing you might consider is trying to give the kick more bottom on "Ain't got Love"...but that's just my take on it.
Good luck with the songs.
Ron

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:49 pm

Rockinpop wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:26 am
kregdurant wrote:

"Banzai" - Alt-Pop?

Hey Kreg,
Both songs have great melodies and your vocals sound perfect for the style. I also enjoy the way the instruments are introduced.
One thing you might consider is trying to give the kick more bottom on "Ain't got Love"...but that's just my take on it.
Good luck with the songs.
Ron
Thank you man, I appreciate it! We only went with a less low end one on that one to make room for the bass and the synth lead which both sit underneath the kick. We did try a few different layers, just the low end wasn't playing nice with the kick, and then references we used were from this listing
https://www.taxi.com/listings/S220519NE

and we noticed those references didn't have much low end information in the kick (which is my favorite sound) and the kick lived higher than the bass. We will probably go back through and try it again now that we aren't trying to cater to a listing. So I 100% agree with you there lol.