We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Feedback Request: Indie Rock Instrumental

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm

Hey fellow passengers,

I'm working on this Indie Rock track for the listing below and would appreciate any and all constructive feedback on it: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... don-t-care

Thanks a lot,
Doug

----------

INDIE ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators as well as TV shows and Film projects!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as Dispatch Listing #D220528CS, but the Company is looking for more material, and they asked us to try again. If you submitted to listing #D220528CS, please send different material this time around.

This Company is searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general wheelhouse of the following references:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"Wet Dream" by Wet Leg https://youtu.be/tjpgJjdk52c

"Ode to a Conversation Stuck in Your Throat" by Del Water Gap https://youtu.be/wuicF70MKYU

"Getaway" by Saint Motel https://youtu.be/SFNSp_o_I38

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Quoting the Company: "Production & authenticity is super important. Tracks that sound like generic 'library music' won't work. We need Instrumentals with current-sounding production, excellent mixes, and quality writing. For instrumentals – they can’t simply be vocal songs minus the vocal lines – those kinds of tracks feel like they’re missing something."

Send them top-notch Rock Instrumentals with memorable motifs, inviting grooves, excellent arrangements, and tons of Indie flair. Typical Indie Rock instrumentation (in the general style of the references) will suit your submissions best – think rockin' guitars, driving drums, etc. Craft your pieces around a central mood, and layer instrumentation in and out to help give your pieces forward momentum and a strong dynamic arc. Please be sure your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not-dated.

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length and no longer than 4 minutes. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use the references only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Feedback Request: Indie Rock Instrumental

Post by DBarnett » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:22 pm

Hey Doug,
I think it sounds really good brother
You might want to break it down in the middle and build it back up
That seems to be the advice I get from the screeners
Good Job Man!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm

Hi Doug
Nice track but I don't think it has that contemporary indie sound like the references. It sounds more generic rock/retro-rock. I think you have to step back, pick one of the references, strip it apart in your mind as to what the drums, bass, guitars, etc. are doing and model after that. It does appear to be a fairly high bar listing so it won't be easy.

Best,
:D Casey

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:01 pm

DBarnett wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:22 pm
Hey Doug,
I think it sounds really good brother
You might want to break it down in the middle and build it back up
That seems to be the advice I get from the screeners
Good Job Man!
Thanks so much for listening and for the feedback! I tried to break it down in the middle, but maybe could be more? I'll re-evaluate that section, thank you! Doug

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:06 pm

Casey H wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm
Hi Doug
Nice track but I don't think it has that contemporary indie sound like the references. It sounds more generic rock/retro-rock. I think you have to step back, pick one of the references, strip it apart in your mind as to what the drums, bass, guitars, etc. are doing and model after that. It does appear to be a fairly high bar listing so it won't be easy.

Best,
Hi Casey and thanks listening and commenting! I had accidentally uploaded an older mix without the lead synth, but I've fixed that now. I was going for the Wet Leg vibe but tried not to copy too closely. Sounds like I may have missed the mark though... Does the synth lead help? Thanks again --- much appreciated! Doug

AlonMarcus
Active
Active

Post by AlonMarcus » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:59 am

Hi Douglas,
I really liked the guitars here and sure they will be a terrific stem. The structure is also very good IMHO, very much what a cue is supposed to be.
Many wonderful variations and melodic ideas.
I noticed the wave form looks exactly the same for the whole track. That might be a warning sign, though not necessarily, because you should believe your ears more than anything else.
But maybe you can incorporate more automation of volume and dynamic development, just to make it less flat.
Personally I didn't like the sound of the clap, I think something more natural will fit more the vibe of this piece.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:11 am

AlonMarcus wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:59 am
Hi Douglas,
I really liked the guitars here and sure they will be a terrific stem. The structure is also very good IMHO, very much what a cue is supposed to be.
Many wonderful variations and melodic ideas.
I noticed the wave form looks exactly the same for the whole track. That might be a warning sign, though not necessarily, because you should believe your ears more than anything else.
But maybe you can incorporate more automation of volume and dynamic development, just to make it less flat.
Personally I didn't like the sound of the clap, I think something more natural will fit more the vibe of this piece.
Hi Alon, and thanks a lot for listening and commenting, I really appreciate it! I'll give this serious consideration as I'm finalizing the mix. All the best! Doug

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:57 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:06 pm
Casey H wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm
Hi Doug

Best,
Hi Casey and thanks listening and commenting! I had accidentally uploaded an older mix without the lead synth, but I've fixed that now. I was going for the Wet Leg vibe but tried not to copy too closely. Sounds like I may have missed the mark though... Does the synth lead help? Thanks again --- much appreciated! Doug
Still not hearing something close enough to the reference. Maybe take out your lead guitar and first listen carefully to the bass and drums vs. the ref. I also noticed you have a prominent lead guitar through most of your track while the reference doesn't. And where they have it, it's lower in the mix. Your lead guitar melody lines seem too retro too. If I didn't know this was for a contemporary indie listing, I wouldn't have thought of the track that way at all. It's a cool track, but MHO is off target here.

PS I'd rather be wrong! :)

rinlow75
Active
Active

Post by rinlow75 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:37 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm
Hey fellow passengers,

I'm working on this Indie Rock track for the listing below and would appreciate any and all constructive feedback on it: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... don-t-care

Thanks a lot,
Doug

----------

INDIE ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for content creators as well as TV shows and Film projects!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as Dispatch Listing #D220528CS, but the Company is looking for more material, and they asked us to try again. If you submitted to listing #D220528CS, please send different material this time around.

This Company is searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general wheelhouse of the following references:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"Ode to a Conversation Stuck in Your Throat" by Del Water Gap https://youtu.be/wuicF70MKYU

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Quoting the Company: "Production & authenticity is super important. Tracks that sound like generic 'library music' won't work. We need Instrumentals with current-sounding production, excellent mixes, and quality writing. For instrumentals – they can’t simply be vocal songs minus the vocal lines – those kinds of tracks feel like they’re missing something."

Send them top-notch Rock Instrumentals with memorable motifs, inviting grooves, excellent arrangements, and tons of Indie flair. Typical Indie Rock instrumentation (in the general style of the references) will suit your submissions best – think rockin' guitars, driving drums, etc. Craft your pieces around a central mood, and layer instrumentation in and out to help give your pieces forward momentum and a strong dynamic arc. Please be sure your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not-dated.

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length and no longer than 4 minutes. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use the references only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Great track Douglass! Those fills are spot on to the reference in my opinion. The guitar melody is great. I think Dave's suggestion to add a full breakdown/edit point and build is good. For the build you might consider doing the fill with a quick pause/then reverse build up. The claps add a good build the second time around. Honestly I feel this may get a forward as is. Nice work!

rinlow75
Active
Active

Post by rinlow75 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:39 am

rinlow75 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:37 am
DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm
Hey fellow passengers,

Thanks a lot,
Doug

----------

Great track Douglas! Those fills are spot on to the reference in my opinion. The guitar melody is great. I think Dave's suggestion to add a full breakdown/edit point and build is good. For the build you might consider doing the fill with a quick pause/then reverse build up. The claps add a good build the second time around. Honestly I feel this may get a forward as is. Nice work!