what genre am i?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ThomasCMcCallum

what genre am i?

Post by ThomasCMcCallum » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:28 am

How do you categorize your music?
I am taking recent feedback on my submitted song, the problem is i am struggling to place my songs in a Genre, any hints or tips guys?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: what genre am i?

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:38 am

Hi Thomas,
The best way to get an answer is to post some links to your music. You'll soon get suggestions for your genre. However, I might add that Taxi listings are very specific about the music being sought and always include at least 3 reference tracks. Listening to the references will give you a good idea about the genre.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:32 pm

If you don't know what genre it is you're doing it wrong.

Try writing to the listings which are all very specific to what genre they need, rather than write something to your muse and then asking what genre it is.

ThomasCMcCallum

Post by ThomasCMcCallum » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:07 am

Hi, Guys thank you for your feedback, To be honest, I consider my songs to be pop music however getting feedback from my submissions indecated that I had submitted a song in a pop category and it was wrong for this category, I am a great believer in taking on board critique and acting on it this being the reason I asked.

Here are a few links to some of my songs.

You dont care
No Need To Run
Running in the night

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:43 am

ThomasCMcCallum wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:07 am
Hi, Guys thank you for your feedback, To be honest, I consider my songs to be pop music however getting feedback from my submissions indecated that I had submitted a song in a pop category and it was wrong for this category, I am a great believer in taking on board critique and acting on it this being the reason I asked.
Hey Thomas

Having listened through to them all , they definitely aren't Pop songs -Have a look / listen at this 2022 Pop Playlist for an idea of current Pop Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPavh05V-88

I would put them more in the AOR/MOR type of genre - they do lean a bit 80s/90s which is not surprising considering your list of bands that inspired you. I remember buying the album "Hats " by The Blue Nile back in the day when it was released, some great songs and excellent production - it was mentioned a lot in HiFi magazines back then as a great test CD.

So if you've been putting these songs in for Pop then it's only going to end in a return. By far the best advice is to write new songs for the listings rather than trying to fit square pegs into round holes. This might be tough if you've been writing in a certain genre that isn't really that popular for TV. TV music tends to skew towards the younger end of the market as that's the audience for a lot of the shows that use high quantities of music ( i.e. reality shows etc )

It would probably be worth your time checking out the Singer/Songer - Rock - Indie and possibly Country listings with a view to writing some new songs to submit. For your existing songs there may be a tie when a Vintage listing comes up that's a better match.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the coffee !

Mark

ThomasCMcCallum

Post by ThomasCMcCallum » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:17 am

Thank you so much, it's something I never had to consider before however, it makes sense, my pleasure for the coffee.