Alt ending key change

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TonySollazzo
Active
Active

Alt ending key change

Post by TonySollazzo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:22 pm

Hi, I was wondering how to handle the ending when there is a key change. For example faith Hills where are you Christmas ( which is the reference for S220808HD ) final chorus ending could not be cut and pasted to the end of an earlier chorus because they are in a different key. I mean the editor could transpose but I suspect they won't.
So, being for sync opportunities, should I provide 2 files with different key ending, or one file including the second ending, or do nothing until the library asks?
I'm guessing the third but I'm interested in your views.
Thanks, Tony.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Alt ending key change

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:14 am

The easy answer is - avoid key changes. For the reasons you state it makes tracks more difficult for editors, so why limit your track's chances of being used? If its existing music that you're adapting for sync then it would probably be best if to have an alternative (non-key change) ending available, but if you can make that without ruining the track then you might as well submit it in the first place.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

TonySollazzo
Active
Active

Post by TonySollazzo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:04 am

Hi Graham (UK), thanks, that makes sense.

Still composing a little faster than decomposing.

LOL :lol:

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:12 am

I ageee with Graham , don't do it is the simple answer

TonySollazzo
Active
Active

Post by TonySollazzo » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:10 am

Hi - thanks for the advice, although is it weird that the more I'm told not to do it, the more I want to? Cheers, Tony.
p.s. I like your funky spy.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:16 am

TonySollazzo wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:10 am
Hi - thanks for the advice, although is it weird that the more I'm told not to do it, the more I want to? Cheers, Tony.
p.s. I like your funky spy.
All it really does is make life hard down the line for an editor , if you've ever watched/read interviews with the folks who's job it is to edit the shows they say if they find a good fit for the scene in their cue bin then they will skip to the end of the track and check the ending to make sure they can get out of cue and into the next scene.

If there's a key change this will probably sound odd and will make the transition between scenes sound off or clunky. So it's easier for them to just reach back into the cue bin and find the next piece of music that works but has an ending they can work with.

Personally I try to make life as easy for the editor as possible, as it's a lot of work from creating the cue , to getting it signed , making alts, uploading, tagging etc. only to fall at the final hurdle and never get placed because I changed key at the end. I did it once as a rookie error and once someone put me right I've not done it since. Needless to say that cue although signed to a library has never been placed.

Glad you liked the Spy Track , there were two which have just been released by the publisher - One of them called "Superfly Spy" featured the talents of Graham ( uk ) above. None of them have a key change !

Mark