We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bmoBauhaus
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Feedback on Dramedy Cue TAXI # S220727DR

Post by bmoBauhaus » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:49 pm

Hi ya'll,

I posted on this a while back but updated my track.

https://www.taxi.com/members/N5SOUeh_Qe ... y-mischief

Any feedback is always appreciated. Thank you!

Here is the ad for reference:

Lots of DRAMEDY INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a very busy British Music Library that's constantly landing tons of placements in Film, TV, and other Media.

This Library is looking for a range of Instrumentals that could fit on a playlist with the following references:

Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (from 0:59 - 1:55)

"Dark Comedy Central" by Jim Ellis

Real Housewives of Atlanta (from 1:25 to 2:08)

"Quirky Waltz" by Gabriel Saban & Anne-Sophie Elizabeth Versnaeyen

"Frenemy of the People" by Bleeding Fingers

Please submit well-produced Dramedy Instrumentals that could help set the tone in Film, TV, and other media placements. Your submissions can range from sparse and quirky to dark and sombre – to anywhere in between! Your submissions should have memorable motifs, solid arrangements, and polished production. Orchestral-based instrumentation that is generally similar to the references will suit your submissions best. You can incorporate some additional elements (like Hip-Hop beats), as long as the orchestral elements stay the focal element. Craft your pieces around a central motif, and create a sense of forward dynamics and movement by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. We recommend avoiding anything that sounds overly busy as it could distract from a scene’s dialogue. Please be sure any virtual sounds or instruments you use are high-quality and modern.

Your submissions should be about 2 to 3 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned endings with good edit points are needed for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced example in any way shape or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Feedback on Dramedy Cue TAXI # S220727DR

Post by Casey H » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:33 am

Hey Brian
Not my area of expertise but things I noticed...

The volume is pretty low on the track and then jumps at around 2:09. You would need to smooth that out so the whole track is at industry standard volume.

The percussion instrument you bring in at around 00:15, to my ears is a bit loud and distracting, not that great for under dialog.

The wind? instrument that you bring in at 1:23 also loud and maybe fake sounding.

I think the track starts off really good as far as the motifs but loses it quickly. Big caveat: I'm not a cue guy. I can't offer much about the quality of the actual sounds used. There are others here than offer much more cue feedback.

Best,
:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:02 am

As Casey says the level of the track needs to come up a bunch, the mix sounds too much like a demo right now and needs more polish.

I like the opening phrase , it has the right instruments and the right feel but the guiro that comes in is really loud and I don't think it fits the track the way it's being played there. I think it calls for something more delicate like maybe a triangle or some sort of shakers and perhaps the odd guiro flourish here and there to round off a section.

bmoBauhaus
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bmoBauhaus » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:58 am

Ok, here is a third attempt with I think a superior mix and is much louder. I didn't change any of the musical content this time but I think I may attempt just recording the clarinet part if it is still too distracting. I might try modulating some sections to a different key to add some variety if it still seems stale. Thanks for everyone's help!

https://www.taxi.com/members/N5SOUeh_Qe ... y-mischief

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:15 am

bmoBauhaus wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:58 am
I might try modulating some sections to a different key to add some variety if it still seems stale.
No, no, no! :shock: Never do that with Film/TV cues, stay in the same key. Music editors need to be able to slice up cues, cutting and pasting together what they need for a scene. Key changes make that impossible. If you need a key modulation to get the variety, you are approaching it wrong.

Casey

bmoBauhaus
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bmoBauhaus » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:24 am

Thanks.

Any thoughts on the track?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:12 am

Much improved! :D I think you're definitely in the game now (*) :D If you are struggling with variety, it doesn't have to be as long. 2 minutes would be enough. Let's see what others like Mark might say.

(*) I'm not a cue guy!

bmoBauhaus
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bmoBauhaus » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:44 pm

Hey this track got forwarded! Thanks again for all of your input!