We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Genre ?

Post by johnlewitt » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:30 am

Is this current? No.

Are there tonnes of sync opportunities? No.

However, I like it. It's of a certain time.

Beyond Chris Rea, Dire Straits is another a la.

Every once in awhile Music Sups and Libraries look for period pieces, so you never know. Just don't hold your breathe!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 am

fbd wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:59 am
Yes I have noticed the obsession on here with production , I did speak with Taxi and they very kindly offered me a refund , but I decided not as there's plenty on here for me in other places , Im self indulgent but I will join in from time to time with modernish sounds , Im not a great modern producer , I get by , for me modern production has played a significant part in devaluing music , it is also in my opinion historically poor and indistinctive . Yes I did notice one sync library accepting a dated sound , thats why I asked here . I often like music raw . Thanks Frank .
I wouldn't call it an obsession. More of a minimum requirement. Certainly the production has to be "broadcast quality " and getting it over that bar takes some work. Things like timing, tuning, vocal pitch, mixing and mastering all have to be on point regardless of the era you're aiming for.

If we want to get paid to have our music used in film and TV projects then ultimately we're fulfilling the needs of the libraries and their clients rather than our own creative muse. Sync is a very specific niche requiring a certain mindset and skillset to be successful. I guess that's why Taxi offer a money back guarantee as it's not for everyone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OZ-DLq ... usicIncome
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:39 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:35 am
Sorry Frank, I'm in the 'that's not country' camp too :) .

Some people join Taxi in the hope that sync affords them an opportunity to get their existing music/songs out into the world. That's always that possibility, but IMHO it helps to see things the other way around. Sync music is TV-led. TV shows need music of certain types/styles/genres/vintages, music libraries provide them what they ask for, and us composers do our best to make sure the libraries have got that and got it from us. Its not composer-driven, and nothing we can do will change that, so its not really about us at all. We're simply filling a need. If our existing music i's current and in demand then we might have a great fit, but if not then it can be hard to find an outlet. The question to ask is... do you hear music like your track on very recent TV shows?

Getting the production right is an obsession here as you've noticed, and that's because the libraries can accept material from lots of great producers, so they have no need to compromise on their standards. Similarly, the editors dropping music into TV shows have their pick of well produced material, so they'll naturally go for music that sounds great. Of course, the music has to be appropriate for their needs and there are many things in consideration besides production, but its so easy for an editor to move on to another track if they stumble across an inferior production.

Back to your track, I'd say there are some things that I like about it (nice guitar, generic lyrics etc), but also some production things (that word again) that might limit its potential (midi sounding drums, heavy on bass, bass timing lag, vocal sound and pitch, lack of build and variation, no edit points, non-current style).

These are just my thoughts though, and they count for little in the grand scheme of things, but I hope something in there helps :).
Hello Tele , yes , I was offered a refund but Ill stick around , I have bits and bobs that I can throw in from time to time and Ill try to find the odd collaboration , I do take some of your points but Id rather be moving onto the next song , I also think some of them are a matter of opinion , not all songs need to build . Cheers thanks Frank .

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:46 am

johnlewitt wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:30 am
Is this current? No.

Are there tonnes of sync opportunities? No.

However, I like it. It's of a certain time.

Beyond Chris Rea, Dire Straits is another a la.

Every once in awhile Music Sups and Libraries look for period pieces, so you never know. Just don't hold your breathe!
Haha , yes quite John , I won't . Thanks Frank .

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:48 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 am
fbd wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:59 am
Yes I have noticed the obsession on here with production , I did speak with Taxi and they very kindly offered me a refund , but I decided not as there's plenty on here for me in other places , Im self indulgent but I will join in from time to time with modernish sounds , Im not a great modern producer , I get by , for me modern production has played a significant part in devaluing music , it is also in my opinion historically poor and indistinctive . Yes I did notice one sync library accepting a dated sound , thats why I asked here . I often like music raw . Thanks Frank .
I wouldn't call it an obsession. More of a minimum requirement. Certainly the production has to be "broadcast quality " and getting it over that bar takes some work. Things like timing, tuning, vocal pitch, mixing and mastering all have to be on point regardless of the era you're aiming for.

If we want to get paid to have our music used in film and TV projects then ultimately we're fulfilling the needs of the libraries and their clients rather than our own creative muse. Sync is a very specific niche requiring a certain mindset and skillset to be successful. I guess that's why Taxi offer a money back guarantee as it's not for everyone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OZ-DLq ... usicIncome
Yes I can see your point of view . Im fine about it , I like the site .

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:25 am

fbd wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:39 am
not all songs need to build
The point is to provide editors with variation that can use to enhance a scene, so just giving them one dynamic might or might not work. Its just another aspect to making music as usable as possible, and thereby increasing its chances of sync placement. However, even in commercially released songs there's ebb and flow so that listeners keep listening rather than change station. Just trying to help :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:57 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:25 am
fbd wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:39 am
not all songs need to build
The point is to provide editors with variation that can use to enhance a scene, so just giving them one dynamic might or might not work. Its just another aspect to making music as usable as possible, and thereby increasing its chances of sync placement. However, even in commercially released songs there's ebb and flow so that listeners keep listening rather than change station. Just trying to help :).
Yes Tele I do appreciate that , what I mean is I was not aware that Taxi was so TV centric , so my head isn't there at all , but now I know here and there Ill give it some thought it'll be a nice break for me . I do know about ebb and flow and in this instance I wanted to stay in the same place , there's plenty of songs that do that , these things are opinion , no right or wrong . With the vocals I dont like lots of todays sanitised vocals there's a lot of amazing artists that just do it , Dylan , Jagger , Knopfler , and to me it sounds fab not pitch perfect , I do take your point about the vocal sound but again Id rather move on to the next song . Ive worked with lots of great producers I have a different mind set . Thanks Frank .