We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Lost in this moment - EDM house song

Post by TheElement » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:45 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry I've been so quiet lately. I have been working on a couple songs . I renewed my Taxi membership in Jan I think but havent submitted yet.

This song is a bit of Future House with a bit of a trance feel to it.

Would love to get some feedback on it. Especially the bridge part which I feel is way too long. But any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks! 8-)

Listen to Lost In This Moment by The Element on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/t7iA3
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Lost in this moment - EDM house song

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:38 am

It's cool...Good track . Vocalist sounds very pro, who's the singer ?

A few thoughts:

Vocal sibilance is hitting the delay ( you can hear the "s " of lost swirling around on the opening line for example and also on the word eyes in the pre-chorus ) ...Singer might need a bit of de-essing . You could try de-essing the delay return to make it less noticable or you could chop that part of the word out and place it on a duplicate track that doesn't go to the delay.

I like the little arp synth at 32s but I think it could be more effective if you could bring it in more slowly by you applying a filter that opens gradually so it helps the build to the drop.

47 - this is related to the above but I don't think you make enough of the transition into the drop , it needs to build more ( use filters/risers etc) and then have more contrast in the little moment when everything drops out, possibly a bit more of a gap and then when the drop comes in it sounds bigger because of the contrast of what came just before.

1:03 I feel like the arrangement needs freshening up a little as it's repeating over again - maybe a cool clap pattern there ?

1:18 Arp synth that comes in is a bit vanilla , maybe try throwing a plugin on it to make it sound cooler..a sidechainer type plugin might help it groove more and something that adds a bit of sparkle and panning maybe ?

1:33 Another chance to close down the filter on that arp synth a gradually bring it back

1:45 The vocal verb / delay gets truncated / chopped off which sounds a bit clunky...the delay and verb need to carry on even if the singing has stopped to smooth it out

2:00 I like the claps but the ambience level doesn't match the vocals , they sound really dry in comparison which makes them feel tacked on

2:10 Something feels like it stumbles a little timing wise, possibly the bass synth

2:20 Something feels a bit wiggy here as well , the track seems to come back in at the wrong time. Again you could probably make a lot more of this transition , have more of a gap after the word sky...create an edit point

2:37 the vocals and the snare build up are out of sync with each other. Maybe leave out the first line as the 2nd line " let it all go " seems fine...you could add an effect to vocal there , like a telephone type vocal so it stays out of the way of the build up.

2:50 same comment about transition as previous ones, make more of it and think about creating an edit point

3:07 bring the claps back in

3:22 try adding another version of the arp synth an octave above

Ending needs a bit of work / smoothing out a bit , we have that chopped off sounding vocal and it may work better with a final hit after " sky " just so it's got a buttoned ending

Hope that helps !

Mark

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:44 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:38 am
It's cool...Good track . Vocalist sounds very pro, who's the singer ?

A few thoughts:

Vocal sibilance is hitting the delay ( you can hear the "s " of lost swirling around on the opening line for example and also on the word eyes in the pre-chorus ) ...Singer might need a bit of de-essing . You could try de-essing the delay return to make it less noticable or you could chop that part of the word out and place it on a duplicate track that doesn't go to the delay.

I like the little arp synth at 32s but I think it could be more effective if you could bring it in more slowly by you applying a filter that opens gradually so it helps the build to the drop.

47 - this is related to the above but I don't think you make enough of the transition into the drop , it needs to build more ( use filters/risers etc) and then have more contrast in the little moment when everything drops out, possibly a bit more of a gap and then when the drop comes in it sounds bigger because of the contrast of what came just before.

1:03 I feel like the arrangement needs freshening up a little as it's repeating over again - maybe a cool clap pattern there ?

1:18 Arp synth that comes in is a bit vanilla , maybe try throwing a plugin on it to make it sound cooler..a sidechainer type plugin might help it groove more and something that adds a bit of sparkle and panning maybe ?

1:33 Another chance to close down the filter on that arp synth a gradually bring it back

1:45 The vocal verb / delay gets truncated / chopped off which sounds a bit clunky...the delay and verb need to carry on even if the singing has stopped to smooth it out

2:00 I like the claps but the ambience level doesn't match the vocals , they sound really dry in comparison which makes them feel tacked on

2:10 Something feels like it stumbles a little timing wise, possibly the bass synth

2:20 Something feels a bit wiggy here as well , the track seems to come back in at the wrong time. Again you could probably make a lot more of this transition , have more of a gap after the word sky...create an edit point

2:37 the vocals and the snare build up are out of sync with each other. Maybe leave out the first line as the 2nd line " let it all go " seems fine...you could add an effect to vocal there , like a telephone type vocal so it stays out of the way of the build up.

2:50 same comment about transition as previous ones, make more of it and think about creating an edit point

3:07 bring the claps back in

3:22 try adding another version of the arp synth an octave above

Ending needs a bit of work / smoothing out a bit , we have that chopped off sounding vocal and it may work better with a final hit after " sky " just so it's got a buttoned ending

Hope that helps !

Mark
Thanks Mark! Excellent suggestions! Thanks for taking the time to review it. 8-)

We havent mixed or did any filter work yet. Just trying to get the arrangement done. I have made notes thanks!

The bridge definitely needs work and the builds. Might even cut parts of the bridge out to shorten it as I feel its too long.

Thanks again!
Gavin
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:14 am

TheElement wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:44 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:38 am
Thanks again!
Gavin
No Worries - Thank you for the Coffee !