Country ?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

fbd
Active
Active

Country ?

Post by fbd » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:11 am

Thanks for the last advice which was heeded , this one is definitely closer than the last one ( at least to modern country ) , though it may be a bit weird . If its not country then Im not sure what it is , except AOR again . Thanks Frank .
Last edited by fbd on Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Country ?

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:03 am

IMHO its more folk than country. If its for your own consumption than it doesn't matter a jot, However, if its intended for sync then I'd have all the same concerns as with the previous 'country' song. Again, if its for your own consumption that doesn't matter a jot either, but if its intended for submission then its more than the style that would benefit from some attention. Yes, its still all subjective and others might disagree.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:42 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:03 am
IMHO its more folk than country. If its for your own consumption than it doesn't matter a jot, However, if its intended for sync then I'd have all the same concerns as with the previous 'country' song. Again, if its for your own consumption that doesn't matter a jot either, but if its intended for submission then its more than the style that would benefit from some attention. Yes, its still all subjective and others might disagree.
Thanks Tele , If the right category came along it might be for submission , thats why I asked .

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:10 am

More of a Folk / Rockabilly vibe about this one, maybe a hint of Country.

I think if you plan to submit it to any listings then there's a fairly sizable gap to be bridged before it can be considered what Taxi call "broadcast quality". Vocally it would need to be much stronger or possibly recruit a talented singer and the instruments / mix / production have plenty of room for improvement.

I know you mentioned that you thought production was an obsession round these parts but that's the difference between writing for your own satisfaction and delivering music to be used professionally and ultimately consumed by the public.

Mark

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:10 am
More of a Folk / Rockabilly vibe about this one, maybe a hint of Country.

I think if you plan to submit it to any listings then there's a fairly sizable gap to be bridged before it can be considered what Taxi call "broadcast quality". Vocally it would need to be much stronger or possibly recruit a talented singer and the instruments / mix / production have plenty of room for improvement.

I know you mentioned that you thought production was an obsession round these parts but that's the difference between writing for your own satisfaction and delivering music to be used professionally and ultimately consumed by the public.

Mark
Im secure about these things , Ive earned a living out my voice now for donkeys years , these things are subjective and you keep talking matter of fact , which is plane wrong , and although I'm grateful the reply its the same thing you are saying as the previous so there wasn't really a point to the reply , Im highly experienced in recording at a very high level with successful producers in world class studios , so Im secure about that as well , I just like things raw . maybe were we are getting mixed up is that I know the sound quality is not good , and I know the vocals are badly recorded ( I did say all this before but because you've made the same contribution we are going over it again ) I have no interest in the submissions that you seem to keep talking about , I have no interest in instrumentals , every now and then Ive noticed you get someone saying demos stuff is ok , and they also have a singer in mind for the song , so rough vocals for something like that is fine , providing its the right genre , which is why I posted this . At least this is the last song Im not sure about the genre Thanks Frank .
Last edited by fbd on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:00 pm

fbd wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 pm
Im secure about these things , Ive earned a living out my voice now for donkeys years , these things are subjective and you keep talking matter of fact , which is plane wrong , and although I'm grateful the reply its the same thing you are saying as the previous so there wasn't really a point to the reply , Im highly experienced in recording at a very high level with successful producers in world class studios , so Im secure about that as well , I just like things raw . maybe were we are getting mixed up is that I know the sound quality is not good , and I know the vocals are badly recorded ( I did say all this before but because you've made the same contribution we are going over it again ) I have no interest in the submissions that you seem to keep talking about , I have no interest in instrumentals , every now and then Ive noticed you get someone saying demos stuff is ok , and they also have a singer in mind for the song , so rough vocals for something like that is fine , providing its the right genre , which is why I posted this . At least this the last song Im not sure about the genre Thanks Frank .
Well if you're confident in them good for you, let us know how it pans out.

Mark

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:33 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:00 pm
fbd wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 pm
Im secure about these things , Ive earned a living out my voice now for donkeys years , these things are subjective and you keep talking matter of fact , which is plane wrong , and although I'm grateful the reply its the same thing you are saying as the previous so there wasn't really a point to the reply , Im highly experienced in recording at a very high level with successful producers in world class studios , so Im secure about that as well , I just like things raw . maybe were we are getting mixed up is that I know the sound quality is not good , and I know the vocals are badly recorded ( I did say all this before but because you've made the same contribution we are going over it again ) I have no interest in the submissions that you seem to keep talking about , I have no interest in instrumentals , every now and then Ive noticed you get someone saying demos stuff is ok , and they also have a singer in mind for the song , so rough vocals for something like that is fine , providing its the right genre , which is why I posted this . At least this the last song Im not sure about the genre Thanks Frank .
Well if you're confident in them good for you, let us know how it pans out.

Mark
Where on earth does it say I'm " confidant in them " ? this is the problem with you , its you who has too much confidence , you are confrontational , you won't put me out of step , Ive had an amazing career and still have good one , as for my voice and your matter of fact statement about it , here is the scanners comment on my only submission " I'm loving the drum machine sound, catchy bass line and overall vocal delivery " and as for your comments on my awareness of music here is the same scanners comments " This is strongly headed in the right direction however is slightly off target with the stylistic purview of the high powered vibe of the refs." You and Tele obviously know everything about these things , this is what happens when music is devalued to the internet , its a free for all for cocky people . And by the way its not " Folk "
Last edited by fbd on Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:38 pm

There is a song in there but as it sits, there are too many issues. The vocal is in drastic need of tuning. Sorry, but in general it's a mess.
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

fbd
Active
Active

Post by fbd » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:06 pm

feaker66 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:38 pm
There is a song in there but as it sits, there are too many issues. The vocal is in drastic need of tuning. Sorry, but in general it's a mess.
Thank you 66 , I agree with you mostly . the vocal is not that bad , its not that good neither , I done this in about an hour everything start to finish , and being self indulgent I wanted it slightly off centre , but made a pigs ear of it , that can happen when you take chances . Many people have told me it sounds like John Lennon , who didn't give a damn about being off key . I am an awful producer mainly because it takes so long these days and time is precious , I need to move onto the next song , the song is more important than production , you can always get a producer later . Im not interested in instrumentals for TV and movies , now I can understand where people are interested in these things they will be meticulous . I need a producer Haha ! PS I do have lots of songs that are quite well produced vocals as well , if its a smooth song I will spend time on it . Thanks Frank .
Last edited by fbd on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:10 am

fbd wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:33 pm
Where on earth does it say " I'm confidant in them " ?
"Im secure about these things , I've earned a living out my voice now for donkeys years , these things are subjective "....would imply a certain level of confidence
fbd wrote:
this is the problem with you , its you who has too much confidence , you are confrontational ,
I call it as I hear it, other opinions are available
fbd wrote:
here is the scanners comment on my only submission " I'm loving the drum machine sound, catchy bass line and overall vocal delivery " and as for your comments on my awareness of music here is the same scanners comments " This is strongly headed in the right direction however is slightly off target with the stylistic purview of the high powered vibe of the refs." You and Tele obviously know everything about these things
Obviously the screener liked it more than I did but you never actually posted any reference tracks so it's hard to know stylistically how close or far it was from what they were asking for.