Review requested for "NOT looking for standard Dramedy tracks"

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Review requested for "NOT looking for standard Dramedy tracks"

Post by jlopez » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:24 pm

Hi folks - would appreciate some feedback on this submission - thanks in advance

https://soundcloud.com/user-259400115/a ... al_sharing

Lots of and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.
This Company is searching high and low for a wide range of dark humor Instrumentals (or Cues) that could be found on a playlist with the following references (but not limited to):
"Slinky Slurp Monster" by Thomas VanOosting
"Dark Comedy Central" by Jim Ellis
IMPORTANT: This Library is NOT looking for standard Dramedy tracks, so please think outside the box with this request!
Please submit well-composed Dramedy Instrumentals (or Cues) with moody motifs and solid arrangements that convey an overall dark, gloomy, and somber tone and feel. This Library is interested in instrumentation that goes beyond the typical Dramedy pizzicato sound, so please feature instrumentation other than pizz strings as the focal point of your pieces. Imagine pieces that replace the strings with alternative instruments – like woodwinds, xylophone, piano, horns, etc – and give them that. Some strings are okay to include in your pieces as supplementing parts in you arrangements, but please do not use them as the principal focus of the piece.
We recommend crafting your pieces around a singular motif, and creating a sense of forward motion and interest by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure your production and any virtual sounds or samples you use are high-quality and not dated.
Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.
This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals or Cues you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals or Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Thursday, August 25th, 2022. TAXI # S220825DM
Submit to this listing TAXI # S220

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Review requested for "NOT looking for standard Dramedy tracks"

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:46 am

I think you're generally in the right ballpark. A couple of thoughts.

I think your instruments are playing too loudly, by that I mean it seems like they being struck at or near full velocity. I think to enhance that sneaky feeling they need to be more subtle and at a more delicate velocity.

The other thing I would say is it feels a bit "square" and everything is very much on the down beat of each bar. Whilst I think that can work at times, it's too much and you need more variation the patterns you are playing.

Other than that I think the general sentiment is in the right direction. See what others think.

Mark

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:42 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:46 am
I think you're generally in the right ballpark. A couple of thoughts.

I think your instruments are playing too loudly, by that I mean it seems like they being struck at or near full velocity. I think to enhance that sneaky feeling they need to be more subtle and at a more delicate velocity.

The other thing I would say is it feels a bit "square" and everything is very much on the down beat of each bar. Whilst I think that can work at times, it's too much and you need more variation the patterns you are playing.

Other than that I think the general sentiment is in the right direction. See what others think.

Mark
Thanks for the taking the time to listen Mark. I will definitely look at the midi programing and as I am sure I need work with not just velocity but expression and modulation - thanks for mentioning that. On regarding point two I struggle with that a bit - yes my piece is very much square. In the past when I have had it swing a bit more, comments have been that is sounded to syncopated and I should make it more square. But saying that I will try to find something in the middle- as it is very much on the downbeat. Thanks again

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:41 pm

Nice track!
A possible solution for the 'square' feeling: bring in a layer that moves by eighth notes - that will help break up the 'square' plodding downbeat motion. Alternatively (and this is something I believe was suggested by Cosmic in a different thread) move one of the layers behind the beat by an eighth. It will create tension and, as a plus, add to the sense of motion.
The first entrance does seem too loud in balance with the rest of the entrances that follow.

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:50 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:41 pm
Nice track!
A possible solution for the 'square' feeling: bring in a layer that moves by eighth notes - that will help break up the 'square' plodding downbeat motion. Alternatively (and this is something I believe was suggested by Cosmic in a different thread) move one of the layers behind the beat by an eighth. It will create tension and, as a plus, add to the sense of motion.
The first entrance does seem too loud in balance with the rest of the entrances that follow.

Thanks so much for listening ...... I am working on modifying the melody to have those 1/8s you mentioned. It does seem to help by putting in anticipation eights - will post when I am done
Loudness is an issue - will adjust and repost. - again thank you

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:18 pm

Thanks folks for listening and the suggestions - here is an updated version

https://www.taxi.com/members/ZV1ixIagTW ... -a-funeral

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 am

jlopez wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:18 pm

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:37 am

jlopez wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 am
jlopez wrote:

I think it's better now than it was

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:52 pm

Thanks for listening and for providing feedback. I am happy you find it better as I try to walk the line.
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:37 am
jlopez wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 am
jlopez wrote:

I think it's better now than it was

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by myk247365 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:09 pm

In the first version there was a long Trombone line and my comment was going to be, you need to give the player a moment to breathe in there somewhere... But I didn't hear it in the second version. Also, it sounds like maybe you shifted some things around in the second version, but it still plods along all the way through. Try some eighth-note spiccato strings to give some momentum that builds to a climax then returns to the plodding as the character is disappointed in finding the treasure they saw was just a mirage. Then give a good button as the character gives up and falls to the ground.

hope this helps.

Michael