how many tracks before your first placement?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: how many tracks before your first placement?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:04 pm

GCampbell wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm
Well folks, I'm happy to report that I got my first tunesat detection today. So I guess my answer to my own question is 13 (haven't signed any new tracks since starting this thread).

The library hasn't registered the track yet, to my knowledge. From what I've read in the forum this is nothing to be concerned about, but should I at some point send them a message? If they're giving out blanket licenses, they might not be aware that the track was placed, no? Or am I just being overly eager?
Congrats ! - Good going to get a Tunesat detection already, wow. I'm sure it was a fair bit more than 13 for me. In fact I think the first few detections I had wasn't my track at all but I'd used a popular loop from Damage and it was flagging up false positives ! I ended up taking that track out of my Tunesat account to make it stop.

Personally I wouldn't bother the library as they will get notified, you don't need to tell them ( unless nothing turns up at your PRO after a couple of years )

Mark

GCampbell

Post by GCampbell » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:28 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:04 pm
GCampbell wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm
Well folks, I'm happy to report that I got my first tunesat detection today. So I guess my answer to my own question is 13 (haven't signed any new tracks since starting this thread).

The library hasn't registered the track yet, to my knowledge. From what I've read in the forum this is nothing to be concerned about, but should I at some point send them a message? If they're giving out blanket licenses, they might not be aware that the track was placed, no? Or am I just being overly eager?
Congrats ! - Good going to get a Tunesat detection already, wow. I'm sure it was a fair bit more than 13 for me. In fact I think the first few detections I had wasn't my track at all but I'd used a popular loop from Damage and it was flagging up false positives ! I ended up taking that track out of my Tunesat account to make it stop.

Personally I wouldn't bother the library as they will get notified, you don't need to tell them ( unless nothing turns up at your PRO after a couple of years )

Mark
Well I guess it could be a while before I see my next detection, but at least I have one in the bag to use for motivation. I didn't realize tunesat actually gives you the clip, very cool. My track interrupts a Coldplay song for 12 seconds, haha. The voice over is in German so I have no idea what they're saying. I find it all very amusing. Thanks again for chiming in on my questions.

Graham

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:25 am

GCampbell wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:28 pm
Well I guess it could be a while before I see my next detection, but at least I have one in the bag to use for motivation. I didn't realize tunesat actually gives you the clip, very cool. My track interrupts a Coldplay song for 12 seconds, haha. The voice over is in German so I have no idea what they're saying. I find it all very amusing. Thanks again for chiming in on my questions.
You should get paid an extra bonus for making Coldplay stop :lol:

If you're really interested there are some voice translation apps you can get for smartphones that will give you an idea of what's been said. The majority of my placements are on German TV, there's quite a lot of channels but the best 2 to get on are ARD Das Erste and RTL as they have the highest royalty rates.

GCampbell

Post by GCampbell » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:07 pm

[/quote]

If you're really interested there are some voice translation apps you can get for smartphones that will give you an idea of what's been said. The majority of my placements are on German TV, there's quite a lot of channels but the best 2 to get on are ARD Das Erste and RTL as they have the highest royalty rates.
[/quote]

I tried a translation app, sounds like it was an add for some show on the network, which was RBB. But also, I got another placement from a different track in a different library, so I'm batting 2/13! haha. This one was in the US. I'm definitely motivated now.

As my other half said, soon I'll be making thousands....of cents!

GCampbell

Post by GCampbell » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:41 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:25 am
GCampbell wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:28 pm

I tried a translation app, sounds like it was an add for some show on the network, which was RBB. But also, I got another placement from a different track in a different library, so I'm batting 2/13! haha. This one was in the US. I'm definitely motivated now.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:59 pm

GCampbell wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:41 am
She was 50% right...but it won't be " soon " :shock:

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:44 pm

How many track before you sign for the first library that gets you placements.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:28 am

SubRivers wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:44 pm
How many track before you sign for the first library that gets you placements.
Sorry, but IMHO there are far too many variables to get much meaning from any answers to that question. You might as well ask how many dates does it take before I meet my first wife/husband, or how many golf shots before I get a hole in one? :).

Are the libraries you sign your tracks to highly active or fairly dormant? Are you happy to pile a load of tracks into low-bar libraries, or are you writing albums for selective libraries that secure great placements with the style of music you write? Are you writing in response to urgent briefings for upcoming shows, or catalogue back-fill? Are you responsive enough to write high quality tracks rapidly that are bang on brief, or do you prefer to write what you like and when you feel like it? Who are you networking and co-writing with, and have they already got established contacts that can help get you 'in' with places that ought to work well for you and your music? What relationships are you nurturing to help yourself get signings and placements?

Even when you've signed a load of tracks to a library it can be quite some time before you get any action, if you get any at all. Some of your best tracks might never get placed, whereas others might get get used over and over for many years. A library that works well for you this year might go quiet next year, and so on. Then there's random chance or luck, so don't forget to roll a few sixes before you push a black cat under a ladder. Basically, you just can't predict anything until it happens, or doesn't!

I don't believe that there can be any standard expectation, and any attempt to identify your place within the range of answers is futile because we are all unique, in different circumstances, with different musical abilities, production abilities, preferences, knowledge, taste, experience, kit, connections, collaborators, work ethic, adaptability, time constraints, etc, etc. There's nobody on an absolutely identical path that can tell you with any degree of certainty that their answer also applies to you.

My best answer would be .... 'LOTS'. Statistically, the more high quality and on-brief tracks you write and sign-up, the greater your chance of a placement happening sooner rather than later. Then again, does the answer even matter? By the time you get your first placement (which could be days, weeks, months or years after the track was signed) you'll probably have signed up loads of other tracks anyway. Its not like you're going to stop and wait for that first placement before writing any more ... I hope :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:01 pm

Sorry I didn't see your reply till now.

I understand the hole in one thing - I am not arguing from the point of view of bitterness - I am amazed that I have been paid over a $3K for 39 tracks over the last 5 years so I know it can work as a career - I need to add zeros to my output.

My point is that libraries make deals and randomly you get into one of the ones that make deals on volume and you suddenly get loads of placements.

i.e. the stochastic process has components and one of them is definitely the library you happen to find yourself in.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:55 am

SubRivers wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:01 pm
i.e. the stochastic process has components and one of them is definitely the library you happen to find yourself in.
It's the most important component as it can mean the difference between getting a few placements here and there and getting 100's per year.