researching Music libraries.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

20centjukebox

researching Music libraries.

Post by 20centjukebox » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:39 pm

Hi all, post #2. I'm getting the swing of this now. I'm trying to research libraries that I can best serve with my styles. and I'd like to get to know what libraries have what niches. For instance if i can find a reputable library that does, say, EDM, I can listen to their albums, see what they like, what sound characteristics they lean towards and see if I'm a fit for them. Plus to see whats getting accepted and placed with specific libraries would really help me focus on album style, genre, mix quality, and so on.. Anyone got a few they are willing to mention on here? If you have a few quality ones that you don't feel comfortable mentioning on a public post, please feel free to private message me. Please be assured that i will not be pestering anyone with anything, this is honestly for research purposes.

Thank you all.
Brian

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: researching Music libraries.

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:11 am

Hey Brian

There's literally thousands of libraries out there, and whilst there are a few niche ones, most of them have catalogs full off every popular music style.

You could do worse than go to one of the bigger libraries like Warner Chapell, Universal, BMG etc and take a listen.

It may also be worth joining Musiclibraryreport.com to read library reviews and comments by fellow composers. There's also services like Sync Edge which has video reviews of libraries and potential gaps in their portfolios.

The main thing is to write high quality licensable music in styles that are commonly used on TV, the Taxi listings are the best source for what's being requested now rather than what was signed a few years ago and the screening process will let you know if you're meeting the quality bar.

Ultimately you don't really know whether any given style of music is going to get much use in any given library until it's out there and available, by which point it's too late to do anything about it. I would say cast a wide net and keep everything crossed.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: researching Music libraries.

Post by Casey H » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:33 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:11 am
The main thing is to write high quality licensable music in styles that are commonly used on TV, the Taxi listings are the best source for what's being requested now rather than what was signed a few years ago and the screening process will let you know if you're meeting the quality bar.
Yes. Just to expand. Watch reality TV shows and spend time listening to the cues behind the scenes. Also, network shows that cater to a young viewing audience. Taxi listings themselves with the reference tracks are a fantastic way to keep current on what's in demand. Submissions and forward/return with a reasonable sample size are invaluable. In addition to finding out whether a track is on target for the listing, feedback on production/recording will tell you a lot about the sound quality of what you are producing.

Also, we have a peer to peer review section on this forum where you can get feedback on your tracks. It's best if you write what listing you are targeting or let us know it's general library music for a given genre/style.

Good luck!
:D Casey