Logic plug ins

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

keithbeck

Logic plug ins

Post by keithbeck » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:00 am

Hi, I have never been the engineer guy - until now. I would always go to the studio with songs and play and produce. Like most musicians today, I am now doing EVERYTHING myself. I have submitted a few songs to Taxi and have been rejected every time. That's OK because I usually knew why they would be rejected when I sent them in. I think this means that I am getting better as the engineer..?? My question now is - I am using Logic Pro ONLY, and pretty much all of the responses have said that the instruments sound dated. Are Logic instruments good enough? I'm not a computer guy at all. What can I do about this? Do I/Should I invest in much better plugins? I'm not the richest man... Thanks

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Logic plug ins

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:43 am

keithbeck wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:00 am
Hi, I have never been the engineer guy - until now. I would always go to the studio with songs and play and produce. Like most musicians today, I am now doing EVERYTHING myself. I have submitted a few songs to Taxi and have been rejected every time. That's OK because I usually knew why they would be rejected when I sent them in. I think this means that I am getting better as the engineer..?? My question now is - I am using Logic Pro ONLY, and pretty much all of the responses have said that the instruments sound dated. Are Logic instruments good enough? I'm not a computer guy at all. What can I do about this? Do I/Should I invest in much better plugins? I'm not the richest man... Thanks
Not a Mac guy but I watch enough Sync Youtube channels that say you can create licenasable music purely using the included instruments. I've used Alchemy when it was still a PC product which had a bunch of good sounds even back then.

Part of it is genre dependent but you can make instruments sound dated just by the way you use them, so it's a playing / production skill as much as anything. However there are 3rd party plugins and libraries that can sound great right out of the box and make your tracks sound better more quickly and easily if you know how to make best use of them.

Maybe post up a track where you've had the dated feedback and see if can pinpoint it more.

Mark

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:48 pm

Hi, IMO it’s 80% in HOW you use them. Common mistakes are: 1.no use of parameters that alter the sound while you play it, especially with long notes. Logics Alchemy has this pads on the bottom where you can morph the sound. Use it! 2. playin in the wrong octave. 3. not stacking sounds, sometimes a rather cheap sounding lead sound comes to life when you stack it with another sound. This counts for pad sound as well. 4. Sorry, this one is the trickiest! A cheesy melody makes the best synth patch sound cheap and dated. I mostly spend more time in finding the right melody and chord inversion & chord rhythm than in changing the sound for the hundredth time!
BUT: investing in other software synths is not wasted money!!! There are insanely good synths out there which form a perfect team together with the already good stock plugs from Logic!
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:34 am

To help with your sounds you could do a lot worse than to get the free version of Native Instruments' Kontakt*, then search for some free instruments that will run in the free version.

If you like what Kontakt offers then you might feel inspired to buy it (I think its on sale at present). Once you have the paid version of Kontakt you'll find a world of virtual instruments for all styles of music. Some of those instruments are also very expensive, but there's an absolute shed load of instruments that are inexpensive or even free.

*Kontakt is a highly featured sampler that runs in all DAWS. It can be bought on its own or as part of the mind-blowing Komplete packages from Native Instruments. Komplete includes loads of instruments that run within Kontakt, but many other things too. Note that owning Kontakt won't suddenly propel your compositions to a higher standard (that depends on how you use it) but it will ensure that you'll be able to grab whatever sounds you can imagine (either free or paid) and manipulate them further if that's what you want. You might never leave your house again :).

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... kontakt-6/
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/catalog/komplete/
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

keithbeck

Post by keithbeck » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:43 am

Thanks everyone this is great info!!

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:30 pm

It's not the gear, it's the ear. Feel free to post a link to some of your music that was called "dated", I'm sure you can get some good feedback here.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mteezykeys » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:15 am

I made the mistake myself of thinking the instruments sound date or low quality meant I needed to buy expensive plugins. Then realized I was still getting the same comments with paid plug-ins and sounds. Then I started taking more time manipulating my sounds and plugins and I'm starting see my forwards increase.