We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Let's Socialize

Post by MJLeeman » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:44 pm

Hi Irwin
I have been following this thread with interest. I have a general observation which you might find relevant. Forgive me if I ramble on, but it’s the only way that I can illustrate what I mean.
My point is about tonality. In this song you pretty obviously deliberately set out to ensure that melody and harmony do not combine to produce the normally accepted dissonance and consonance, characteristic of the traditional Western music system. For me, this does not work, not so much because of the sounds themselves, but more because your method seems random: to my ears, this is what creates the disorder. There is no apparent logic in the musical direction. The original movement against tonality, from early last century, was anything but random; in fact, it was highly regulated with strict rules which needed to be followed. That music, though it deliberately avoided traditional tonality, is actually very ordered and logical. It fits the definition of music as ordered sound.
So, in my opinion, if you decide to continue with your general approach, you would need to figure out how to communicate a definite sense of order within the chaos, so to speak, but I believe that this would be an extremely difficult task, and the result might still not appeal to the average listener.
Having said this, you are of course perfectly free to create music as and how you wish, and best of luck in your endeavours. If you decide to make the move to a more traditional sound, then I would suggest that you first look at experimenting/improvising with some basic keyboard harmony, with three-note chords in the right hand. But that is another matter.
Cheers
Michael

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:14 am

MJLeeman wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:44 pm
[...] you pretty obviously deliberately set out to ensure that melody and harmony do not combine to produce the normally accepted dissonance and consonance, characteristic of the traditional Western music system.
I do not think that this is true, because Irwin often asks if his songs could potentially be hits and in his follow-up versions he often thinks he has fixed or identified the problems (which usually is not at all the case). So, no, it is not deliberate from what I observed here over the years.
Last edited by CTWF on Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:42 pm

MJLeeman wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:44 pm
Having said this, you are of course perfectly free to create music as and how you wish,
Yes, but this is only true if you're not perusing sync licensing or attempting to get artist cuts. The assumption is if you're posting it on Taxi's forum then you have some sort of goal in that general direction.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:49 pm

Starting to wonder if this is some kind of joke?
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:54 pm

melodea wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:49 pm
In that case, it would be a multi-year multi-song joke. So, no.
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:41 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:54 pm
melodea wrote:
In that case, it would be a multi-year multi-song joke. So, no.
so-called: running joke :lol:

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 pm

melodea wrote:
Sadly not

https://jaywilliamsproductions.com/team/

irwin
Impressive
Impressive

Post by irwin » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:33 pm

melodea wrote:
This is no joke, I am very serious about getting a Taxi cut for I know I have many great songs.

Irwin
Need your music on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc? Click DistroKid Link Below and Save 7%:
https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/2528627
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7nwjMIqpi8461amydZmWUC

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:11 am

irwin wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:33 pm
melodea wrote:
This is no joke, I am very serious about getting a Taxi cut for I know I have many great songs.

Irwin
Sorry Irwin, I didn't intend to offend you!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:37 am

irwin wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:33 pm
melodea wrote:

Irwin
That's all well & good but nothing you have presented could be classed as material from either a serious or great song writer.

Most of them sound like very naive attempts I would expect from a complete untrained beginner. So there is a huge disconnect between what you think of the songs Vs what other people do.

We have ascertained it's not because of any hearing / tone deaf issue. So what is making you believe that you have written many great songs when in all honesty they are some of the worst things I've heard ?

Is there something else at play here we are not aware of ? Are you taking any medications that are skewing your judgment ?

16 years is a long time to be on a music forum and still be at beginner level.