My Mobile DAW

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GeoffreySchumann

My Mobile DAW

Post by GeoffreySchumann » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:00 am

Hello Everyone; I am sharing my mobile Digital Work Station (DAW) with you all. I am currently running an Apple MacBook Pro Silicon-based M1 system. For almost ten years, I was on an older Asus GSX74 (Republic of Gamers), my DAW.

I've always loved having a mobile DAW; this way, and I can go where the music is happening versus having a proverbial boat anchor at home where all the work is done. In truth, I don't have a dedicated space to do music at home, so I operate on a more musical-gorilla setup... (i.e., the laptop is always on hand and ready to capture my inspiration when the mood strikes).

I've gotten quite good at using the onboard keyboard (alpha-numeric) to layer in my music vs. having to schlep around a keyboard (I own a few, but who doesn't these days, right?). I use an external G-Tech hard drive (type C) for my main audio library but keep "Clutch" stuff installed directly to the Mac, this way, should I ever need to score something with a full orchestra quickly, I am ready to go.

I've been using Reason (formerly known as Propellerhead Software) by Reason Studios since the early beta of 1999. When they offered the ability in 2004 to Record, I switched over, and it was my premiere DAW since, up until the fall of last year, when I purchased my Mac, and I now run Logic Pro X (Still figuring the ins and outs of it).

I keep an external 15" portable ASUS display as my alternate display when I don't have access to external displays and use my Apple iPad Air 2 as the Logic Pro X mixing board. So my setup photos will vary depending on the situation and need. I have a Spider keyboard stand (my vertical workstation) when I am doing more of the serious stuff that requires me to whip out the Native Instruments 61 keyboard... but typically, I make do with what I have on hand.

Images below represent the older PC Setup - same setup, but now with a Mac powering it.