Help needed for listing # S220914HF (Einaudi-Style)

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

alanjmoore
Active
Active

Help needed for listing # S220914HF (Einaudi-Style)

Post by alanjmoore » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:01 am

Hello folks,

I'd really appreciate some help understanding the critique I received for listing #S220914HF (Einaudi style instrumentals). The screener said that the piece('Woolgathering') was 'wholesome' and 'heartfelt' and was very close to getting forwarded but, "The left hand piano playing could vary a little more because it kind of gets old after a while. I think this is really close, it just needs some rearrangement to make it more interesting."

This is the first critique I've received that has totally confused me (including the production music composers over at the '52 Cues' community).

When I submitted the piece, I was worried that the left hand was TOO close to Einaudi's music. These left hand patterns can go on for ages - I know because I teach these pieces to my students!

A fellow composer with 30 years experience had this to say, "This is exactly the left-hand writing I would have expected in this genre" and "I would never in a million years have picked out the left hand as an issue, unless there was something very specific in the brief that would change what's needed."

Please understand that I'm genuinely confused by this. My production values are not the greatest (home studio), but this was not an issue. I was also concerned that my piece was in ternary form (A B A) and perhaps not crafted around a 'central motif' (again, not an issue). I'm not even annoyed with the screener, as he/she has forwarded another cue of mine recently!

So, I'd be most grateful if folks could help me get to grips with what exactly the problem is and how this cue veers away from Einaudi's left hand! Here's the Soundcloud link: https://on.soundcloud.com/nKS9m.

Thank you everybody. I'd value any thoughts, comments or suggestions!

Alan

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Help needed for listing # S220914HF (Einaudi-Style)

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:36 am

Hi, its a lovely piece and very nice playing. Although I have no expertise to explain the return, here's a few things to consider that might offer some consolation:
- the library want something useful for sync, so nailing the style isn't the only consideration,
- fellow composers might or might not have an understanding of the requirements for sync, whereas a screener absolutely does,
- there were no major red flags and it was a close thing, so probably came down to a subjective opinion and on any other day it might have been forwarded,
- you're down $5 but I wouldn't worry about it. With nothing but a slight reservation from one screener you'll probably get the piece signed elsewhere when the time comes.

Good luck for a forward next time :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.