Signing a contract/registering with SOCAN

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lizzystunes

Signing a contract/registering with SOCAN

Post by lizzystunes » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:24 am

Hi everyone,

Taxi newbie here! Just got an offer to sign a track to a music library, but wasn't sure how that works with registering the track in Canada under SOCAN? Do I register the track first and then sign the contract? Does it matter?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Signing a contract/registering with SOCAN

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:17 pm

Hi!
Congrats on the library deal. :mrgreen: You do not have to and shouldn't register the track with your PRO on your own as the library will take care of that. The exception would be if the library specifically asks you to do it, but I know of only one library like that. So sit tight and enjoy the ride! Good luck! 8-) :D

Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:29 pm

lizzystunes wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:24 am
Taxi newbie here! Just got an offer to sign a track to a music library, but wasn't sure how that works with registering the track in Canada under SOCAN? Do I register the track first and then sign the contract? Does it matter?
Hi, and congratulations on the offer. Just as a general comment, it will serve you well to get to know about the business side of sync as well as the music side. This question (or very similar ones) come up quite a lot on the forums, so its always worth trying a search :). Its also been discussed on Taxi TV, and I think was discussed in one of the online road rally presentations. These are good reasons for watching Taxi TV and reading the forums. Its all valuable learning that helps at times like this - when its needed.

post603812.html#p603812

Basically, libraries registers tracks themselves to make sure its done properly so they'll get their share of the royalties. It varies from library to library, but they might do that immediately, or when they have a batch to register, or when they know its been placed, or never (if the track never sees any action). If the library is not in Canada they'll most likely register it with their own PRO, but may or may not register it in your SOCAN account too. Don't worry about that. As long as its registered with a PRO somewhere any broadcast royalties it generates should eventually find their way to your SOCAN account via your IPI/CAE number that you'll need to include on the contract that you sign. Therefore, you shouldn't need to register anything (other than yourself as a SOCAN member so that you have an IPI/CAE number).

I hope that helps :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

lizzystunes

Post by lizzystunes » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:32 am

Thank you both so much! Appreciate the tips :) Will do some more digging on the wealth of knowledge here!