"Taxi" (what a great song!)

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tom123

"Taxi" (what a great song!)

Post by tom123 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:03 am

Just having become a member of Taxi, it brings to mind that one of my favorite songs of all time is "Taxi" by Harry Chapin. Anyone feel the same?"And she said we must get together,But I knew it'd never be arranged.And she handed me twenty dollars,For a two fifty fare, she said"Harry, keep the change."Well another man might have been angry,And another man might have been hurt,But another man never would have let her go...I stashed the bill in my shirt."I'll never forget when I first heard that song. I was just stunned at how great of a piece of art it was. I guess true works of art cause reactions like that in people. Songwriting doesn't get much better than this (IMHO).

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Taxi" (what a great song!)

Post by jchitty » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:53 am

Quote:Just having become a member of Taxi, it brings to mind that one of my favorite songs of all time is "Taxi" by Harry Chapin. Anyone feel the same?"And she said we must get together,But I knew it'd never be arranged.And she handed me twenty dollars,For a two fifty fare, she said"Harry, keep the change."Well another man might have been angry,And another man might have been hurt,But another man never would have let her go...I stashed the bill in my shirt."I'll never forget when I first heard that song. I was just stunned at how great of a piece of art it was. I guess true works of art cause reactions like that in people. Songwriting doesn't get much better than this (IMHO). Hey, TomYes, I agree....it's one of the best songs ever written.....and it's probably one of my all time favorites. Years have passed of course, but when I hear that song, it still moves me. It has all the components of a great song.....vivid imagery, great storytelling and a haunting melody to boot.

dhdhdh33

Post by dhdhdh33 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:00 pm

I have a "Taxi" versionThe A&R guy said we must get togetherbut I knew it'd never be arrangehe handed me a 20 dollar bill for a 2.50 taband said hey barkeep where's my changenow another man might have been angryor another man might have been hurtbut I just smiled like a fool as he walked awaycause I needed a deal from that jerk.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Quote:I have a "Taxi" versionThe A&R guy said we must get togetherbut I knew it'd never be arrangehe handed me a 20 dollar bill for a 2.50 taband said hey barkeep where's my changenow another man might have been angryor another man might have been hurtbut I just smiled like a fool as he walked awaycause I needed a deal from that jerk.LOL, that's great!

mojoheadz

What do you like track?

Post by mojoheadz » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:43 am

fireeeee!!
Glasgow Underground Recordings like a Mojoheadz...

SusanAnnNorberg
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SusanAnnNorberg » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:18 am

https://youtu.be/aeMX1JfqKuc

I never knew it had a sequel until a couple years ago.

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:56 pm

Ironically that song would be "returned " lol

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:30 pm

Wow. This thread is from 2007, some 16 years ago!! How did it get resurrected from its grave? :lol:

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:34 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:30 pm
Wow. This thread is from 2007, some 16 years ago!! How did it get resurrected from its grave? :lol:
wow!! You are right! hahah I just noticed that. Odd.. :lol:

BrianCullen
Active
Active

Post by BrianCullen » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:24 pm

I had never heard the song. Marvellous storytelling. I am glad the thread somehow reemerged.
https://www.youtube.com/@briancullenmusic
https://www.taxi.com/members/briancullen
Irishman living in Japan since 1991 - always interested in collaboration of various kinds.