Question about mastering

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DAmaditz

Question about mastering

Post by DAmaditz » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:40 am

Hi I'm not new to recording but I am new to post production skills like mastering. Some questions:

- Is it typical for each track within a song to be mastered and EQ'd separately BEFORE a general mastering of the song as a whole?

-Does mastering have to be done to the song as a whole if it was already done to each individual track within the song?

-Is mastering a recording generally a matter of compressing it and equalizing it appropriately? Are there other aspects to mastering besides these?

Sorry, I probably sound pretty green about it! Any information would be appreciated :)

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Question about mastering

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:47 am

Hi, I suggest starting by finding out what the term 'mastering' means. There's an absolute shed load of information online, for example
https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/what-is-mastering.html
That should answer some of your questions and clear up some confusion you seem to have.
DAmaditz wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:40 am
- Is it typical for each track within a song to be mastered and EQ'd separately BEFORE a general mastering of the song as a whole?
No. Separate tracks within a song are not mastered. They are often treated with EQ and perhaps many other processors whilst mixing, but its the final mixed song that is mastered, not the individual tracks.
DAmaditz wrote:
-Does mastering have to be done to the song as a whole if it was already done to each individual track within the song?
It is done to the song as a whole, not to individual tracks.
DAmaditz wrote:
-Is mastering a recording generally a matter of compressing it and equalizing it appropriately? Are there other aspects to mastering besides these?
It often includes compression and EQ (and can include many other processes too) but usually includes limiting to bring the song to a competitive volume level. Also, if there's a set of songs, such as for an album, the mastering process would also be used to ensure that all the songs have a similar level as as well as a similar sonic signature.

Again, reading the guide that's linked above should help, but you'll find loads of information and it will all tell you much the same.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:38 am

One option is to hire a mastering expert via airgigs.com (one of many such options); and you can get professional/broadcast quality done 'on the cheap';
very reasonable and competitive prices.

However - and it may have already been stated - mastering will NOT FIX a not-so-good mix.

Make sure your mix is the best it can be before getting the final master done.
To that end - if you have any questions or doubts - or, just want more EAR COUNSELORS -
the P2P board here is free, and you have access to many very-capable producers, for feedback, before you get your FINAL MASTER done.
HTH, good luck.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

andersenstorm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by andersenstorm » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:25 pm

I was 2020 at the same point. I recorded a whole CD with my songs, produced it all by myself. From the idea to the burning master for the CD press, no one was involved. All work, all money, and all decisions were on me. Related to the product, it could have be done much better. Considering the process, I couldn't have been a better learner. It's the hard way. Don't do that. I have now a box of CD's wrapped in plastic that no one wants to hear. But I know now, after all that experiences, improving your skills with the help of Taxi members and listeners is much more efficient. Learn to mix first. It's about balancing every instrument group to the other, left out loudness and overall sound. I use mix busses even for the sum. And if that is done use the master channel with all you need of the master plugin chain to let it sound like the sample you got from TAXI. That's it. The best for you.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:42 am

I agree with the above comment - "learn to mix first". If the mix is good then basic mastering can be a very simple final process (eg lift the level of the final mix whilst limiting the peaks). You can pay others to master for you, or you can have it done remotely using online services, but if you're serious about music licensing then its far better to learn to do it yourself. Otherwise, when you send your track to a library and they say 'Great, we'll send you a contract if you can deliver the full length wav file plus 6 alternative versions, plus a 30s version and 2 stings', you could be a bit stuck. Instead of getting stuck, get stuck in :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.