Need help on genre.

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

WayneEdwardRoworth

Need help on genre.

Post by WayneEdwardRoworth » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:03 am

Having trouble pegging this genre. I'm thinking Adult/Contemporary but questioning " Contemporary". Also what type of listing would be looking for a song like this. Please feel free to give constructive criticism on the song as a whole as well. You're previous comments on other compositions have been very helpful. TIA. Wayne.

https://www.taxi.com/members/Vwh1hGKUSz ... -sometimes

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Need help on genre.

Post by johnlewitt » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:11 am

It's not adult contemporary. Not country either. More folk than anything.

It's hard to comment on the songwriting due to the arrangement. If this is meant as demo to give to someone to produce properly then please ignore the following comments. If your intention is to submit this, it needs a lot of work. It doesn't stay in time. The mix balance is odd to my ears. You've got the drums in the right channel and the acoustic guitar in the left. The vocals don't sound like they are in the same room as the 'band' and they need to be tuned. I do like the tone of the electric guitar though. Hopefully this helps.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:17 am

I agree it's not Adult/Contemporary

I actually thought it leaned a bit more Country than anything else. Where I do agree with Johnlewitt is that this is very far from broadcast quality for the reasons mentioned - so if this is what you're submitting it just doesn't stand up well enough to get forwarded - If it's to send to a demo house to record more professionally then I still think it would come out more like a Country song personally.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 am

In addition to what Mark and John said, one thing I also picked up on is the lyrics-- full of overused, cliche rhymes and phrases. Before I would invest in a professional demo, I'd rework the lyrics to be more unique and interesting. There is potential here but it needs a lot.

Genre-wise, production *could* probably go more singer-songwriter than country.

Best,
:D Casey