Feedback requested: EMOTIONAL SOLO PIANO INSTRUMENTAL CUES a

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback requested: EMOTIONAL SOLO PIANO INSTRUMENTAL CUES a

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:06 pm

I think the general composition is fine but the piano sound is not very good, it sounds like a cheap midi keyboard type sound and it's not played very expressively

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:12 pm

Also, I would not assume that two pianos would work for this request, especially given that the listing says, "Although some of the references include additional instrumentation, please submit Solo Piano Instrumental Cues only for this request."
===Michael===

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:15 pm

Jeez- the taxi track is public, downloadable and everything else and still doesn't work

https://soundcloud.com/user-259400115/t ... al_sharing

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:23 am

irthlingz wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:12 pm
Also, I would not assume that two pianos would work for this request, especially given that the listing says, "Although some of the references include additional instrumentation, please submit Solo Piano Instrumental Cues only for this request."
===Michael===

Thanks for the feedback. I will rework and repost. Thanks again

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:24 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:06 pm
I think the general composition is fine but the piano sound is not very good, it sounds like a cheap midi keyboard type sound and it's not played very expressively

Thanks for the feedback. the piano is a spitfire felt piano. I played most of the parts but did quantize a bit. I will try a different piano and work on the expression. Thanks for the feedback.

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:20 pm

Echoing what others have eluded to or said above.

Really nice composition, but the production quality is very much lacking in my opinion. Feels stiff and a bit lifeless at times. Really nice writing though.

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:59 pm

markhimley wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:20 pm
Echoing what others have eluded to or said above.

Really nice composition, but the production quality is very much lacking in my opinion. Feels stiff and a bit lifeless at times. Really nice writing though.
Thanks it seems the folks feel the composition is fine but the production and the piano lack emotion and generally bad....... I will re-record and keep working - thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment

bmoBauhaus
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bmoBauhaus » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:22 am

I listened to the track and composition wise I think its all very appropriate.

The piano sounds very stuffy. Are you using a VST, a live recording, or are your playing a digital piano into a DAW?

If VST, I think you should try to strip it down to just its core sound without any reverb or other plugins until it sounds clean and clear, then gently add verb (and possibly a little compression to get some of the keys details).

If a live piano, how are you placing your mics? You could be placing in an area that is picking up more of the verb sound than the strings/keys.

If you recording direct line, I would adjust the settings until they sound like a crisp, clear piano and be more gentle with the pedal.

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback and for listening. I am playing a VST via a Roland RD64 weighted action keyboard into my DAW. I have tried several VST pianos including Spitfire Original, Felt and Native Instuments GRANDEUR. I will take a listen and adjust per your suggestions. The compression idea I haven't tried as I was afraid of destroying some of the dymanic range but will try a little as you said and repootl. Thannks again
bmoBauhaus wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:22 am
I listened to the track and composition wise I think its all very appropriate.

The piano sounds very stuffy. Are you using a VST, a live recording, or are your playing a digital piano into a DAW?

If VST, I think you should try to strip it down to just its core sound without any reverb or other plugins until it sounds clean and clear, then gently add verb (and possibly a little compression to get some of the keys details).

If a live piano, how are you placing your mics? You could be placing in an area that is picking up more of the verb sound than the strings/keys.

If you recording direct line, I would adjust the settings until they sound like a crisp, clear piano and be more gentle with the pedal.

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:55 pm

Hi folks - I have modified that track and have two versions located here. https://soundcloud.com/user-259400115/s ... wer-is-yes.

if you have time I would appreciate feedback regarding the two versions. thanks in advance