Piano Recording

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

martinmichelson
Active
Active

Piano Recording

Post by martinmichelson » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:34 am

Can any of the piano players give me some good tips on how best to record a piano with a microphone? My previous attempts with one or two microphones, which I then route into my DAW via audio interface, were not so satisfactory (microphones in the piano, microphones at different distances in front of the piano).

I have a good digital piano with a nice piano sound, but I just play better on my Steinway (upright, not grand).

Thank you very much!

augustheat
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Piano Recording

Post by augustheat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Really depends on what kind of sound you’re going after. This is a pretty good reference to start with…

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/how-t ... d-a-piano/
Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:50 pm

martinmichelson
Active
Active

Post by martinmichelson » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:55 pm

Thanks a lot for the articles! Will help me.

JenniferBowman
Active
Active

Post by JenniferBowman » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:33 pm

Martin, I record a fair amount on my actual piano (Steinway grand) and I have used the advice on these two articles posted by our colleagues when I first started. I think the information in those articles was extremely helpful. I also spent LOTS of time doing trial and error with the microphones playing exactly the same piece and moving the microphones around the piano as well as around the room. I find that different mic positions are better for different styles of music and you also want to be mindful of how much pedal and mechanical noise is picked up because that is harder to get those out of the audio file. FYI I have a nice pair of condenser mics which I place approximately 10” apart, with a variety of angles depending on desired sound. You didn’t mention how much treatment of the audio file you are doing (EQ, reverb, compression, etc) but that can be really helpful too. I would not say I am a big expert at the audio recording but the more I do it the more I understand. It sounds like you are on the right track so keep at it.