Submitting to libraries

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Otis12062002
Active
Active

Submitting to libraries

Post by Otis12062002 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:23 pm

Hey,

So I Saw a taxi tv video on on instagram about the number of tracks you have signed doesn’t mean anything, all that matters is how high quality the library is and making sure you know that they have a place for your song and good intention with it.
My question is outside of taxi how can you determine and make sure the library has good and sure intentions with your tracks rather than just getting tie ups (lots of tracks signed with no placements ever)?
For example Chuck Henry said all his tracks got placed, but I guess Matt Van Der Bough said about a quarter of them got placed which may be more realistic.
What should you be looking for within the libraries show reels and what questions should you be asking them?

All the best

Otis

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Submitting to libraries

Post by Casey H » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:42 pm

Otis12062002 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:23 pm
So I Saw a taxi tv video on on instagram about the number of tracks you have signed doesn’t mean anything, all that matters is how high quality the library is and making sure you know that they have a place for your song and good intention with it.
I wouldn't agree that quantity doesn't matter. Yes, quality is key, but you need a decent size mass of songs in libraries to get more than an occasional (if at all) placement. People that make significant money in this business build up hundreds to thousands of tracks out there working for them.

As far as libraries go, they all have good intentions since they only make money with placements, just kike you. But you are correct that there are many varieties of libraries as far as their track records, clients, how they pitch (just slap songs on a website or actively curate to sups for opportunities?).

As far as figuring out which libraries are best for you, that can be tough. On-line research, networking with peers and collaborators, and sometimes trial and error (which can be painful), etc... And it's quite often than person A has success with a given library while person B does not. Two of the best techniques are (1) Taxi listings and (2) Building relationships and co-writing with others (many you can meet on forum and rally) who can introduce you.

Best,
:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:54 pm

Otis12062002 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:23 pm
My question is outside of taxi how can you determine and make sure the library has good and sure intentions with your tracks rather than just getting tie ups (lots of tracks signed with no placements ever)?
Basically you can't really determine until you have singed a good amount of music for a decent length of time....by which time it's too late if the library turns out to be no good for your music.

Best bet is to get into a bunch of different libraries and see how they compare.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:10 pm

One way to find libraries with placements is to watch the credits at the end of tv shows. Get the pause button ready because they usually scroll by really fast. But look for "Music Provided By" and you should see some library names. So, find shows that use music in genres you can produce, then check out the credits to see which libraries placed the music in that episode.

I created a short video on the basic concept of how to get into libraries. Very simplified, but all based on my own experiences. Have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLaDcV5qenE&t=350s
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

bgusch
Active
Active

Post by bgusch » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:23 am

Hi Paul,
I watched your YouTube video.
Thanks for sharing. I got some good ideas from it.
I'm will be attending my first Rally this year.
In bringing music to share could you just put a sound cloud link or other links on a business card?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:20 am

bgusch wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:23 am
Hi Paul,
I watched your YouTube video.
Thanks for sharing. I got some good ideas from it.
I'm will be attending my first Rally this year.
In bringing music to share could you just put a sound cloud link or other links on a business card?
  • Business card with link(s) to your music such as website, soundcloud, etc. You could also have a QR code for a link to your music but I would still have them spelled out the old fashioned way for those less techie.
  • Your music on a personal device such as iPhone.
  • A few CDs with your music. If you are attending the Eat and Greet Mentor lunch, you may want to have 6 put aside just for that as mentors may collect CDs from the members at tables.
HTH!
:D Casey