Grandma Got Run Over - Reggae Version

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Grandma Got Run Over - Reggae Version

Post by guest4254 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:19 pm

Trying my hand at mastering...if you kind folks could give a listen and possibly critique, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I will do the same for you, as I finally have a little more time to myself...

https://www.taxi.com/members/ex2VQWBFTc ... e-version-

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Grandma Got Run Over - Reggae Version

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:42 am

Thanks for posting it up - the link works fine now

I like the interpretation of the song, I'm not sure the arrangement quite nails it - sounds a little fake/midi in places and the mix balance isn't quite right although it's far from the worst mix I've heard.

So I think the main issue is one of overall production rather than purely mastering and it needs to sound more like a real band than it does now to be more appealing for licensing. As far as the current mix/master goes it's far too lacking low end for this genre ( did you do some A/B referencing against commercial reggae tracks ? ) and it needs more of that dub style delay that's fairly typical in this type of music.

The track on Youtube that's linked in your signature Merry FXmas has a better mix and the low end is in the right place...I'm not sure if you mixed it or someone else did but it's far better than this one.

Mark

martinmichelson
Active
Active

Re: Grandma Got Run Over - Reggae Version

Post by martinmichelson » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:35 pm

A nice and funny song, instrumentaation and mastering rather perfect. But there is no change in the song in more than five minutes, no solo, no bringing instruments in and out. So this very good song is a bit to long and lacks of dynamics.