New Member Introduction

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rajkaul

New Member Introduction

Post by rajkaul » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:15 am

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all well. Just an introduction and a quick PRO question. I'm based in the UK and class myself as an alternative Bhangra artist. Which basically means taking the folk melodies of Bhangra and Punjabi music and fusing them into genres such as house and electro.

I had a quick question in regard to PRO. I'm currently wirh PRS in the UK but a lot of the pitches I'm interested in have the following disclaimer:

"Quoting the Company: “Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SACEM, IMRO, APRA AMCOS, SOCAN, including all Scandinavian and Latin American PROs, are eligible to submit their music for this opportunity.”"

I understand that PRS has some sort of affliattion with BMI but I'm not sure. Would I have top cancel my membership with PRS and join one of the others?

Thanks,

Raj

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:12 pm

rajkaul wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:15 am
"Quoting the Company: “Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SACEM, IMRO, APRA AMCOS, SOCAN, including all Scandinavian and Latin American PROs, are eligible to submit their music for this opportunity.”"
Taking that statement at it's word you wouldn't be eligible as a PRS member, does it state why anywhere else in the listing ? It's not something I have come across before and I have about 500 tracks spread across a dozen libraries now.
rajkaul wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:15 am
I understand that PRS has some sort of affliattion with BMI but I'm not sure. Would I have top cancel my membership with PRS and join one of the others?
When you join PRS you have to choose who will collect your US royalties and pass them onto PRS on your behalf but iirc the default was ASCAP and I left mine as it was.

You can also join more than one PRO , so there is nothing to stop you joining ASCAP , BMI ( SESCAC is invite only ) etc. but it does mean more legwork initially and you would have to be mindful of which PRO info to give to which library dependant on where they get most placements.

Personally I think it's just easier to stick with your home PRO of PRS if you are in the UK but YMMV.

rajkaul

Post by rajkaul » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:21 am

thanks buddy. When trying to switch over BMI and ASCAP require a release form from my previous PRO. I'm just in the process of doing that.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:25 am

You generally can't belong to more than one PRO, you need to resign from one to join another. I do hear there are some exceptions between US and non-US PROs where you can have dual membership but it has to be something that both PROs allow which isn't always the case.

:D Casey