30 second and 1 minute versions

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Darran

30 second and 1 minute versions

Post by Darran » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:00 am

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here at Taxi, so if there is a obvious answer to this, then please forgive me.

I'm trying to write for listing TAXI # S221110ST (POSITIVE, EMOTIONAL PIANO & ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a hard-working Music Library that's landing tons of placements in TV and Film.) Which states that 30 second and 1 minute versions will be required. My question is...Should I write so that the music stops at 30 seconds and one minute? or that it is loopable at those points? I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance

Darran

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 30 second and 1 minute versions

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:29 am

Darran wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:00 am
..... 30 second and 1 minute versions will be required. My question is...Should I write so that the music stops at 30 seconds and one minute? or that it is loopable at those points? I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance
Darran
No, write the full length track to the length the listing asks for, but be aware that if your track is accepted you'll be required to provide the full length version plus separate cut-down versions that are 1m and 30s long. Worry about that later though, and it'll be a nice problem to have :).

Note that these versions should work as complete stand-alone pieces of music (i.e. not just roughly chopped 1m or 30s from the end). Therefore, you could plan in advance to include edit points that make it convenient to create 1m and 30s versions, but even if you don't do that there are always ways to make tracks exactly fit any length required (repeat bars, repeat sections, shorten sections, shorten or extend a hold, add a drum fill intro, shorten or extend the ring-out, use a single final hit or multiple hits, etc).

Just about every library you'll come across will ask for cut-down versions of accepted tracks (as well as stings and alternate mixes). The only difference here might be that 1m is longer than usual for a cut-down (and perhaps why the stipulation appears in the listing). 30s, 20s and 15s are more common.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Darran

Re: 30 second and 1 minute versions

Post by Darran » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 am

Argh, that makes sense.

Thanks Graham :)