"The Boss" Stomp/Clap Instrumental Rock Cue

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

"The Boss" Stomp/Clap Instrumental Rock Cue

Post by johndalenow » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:05 pm

I sorta emulated the 2nd reference. Whadaya think?

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... al_sharing

HARD-HITTING STOMP-CLAP ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful Music Library with International Distribution in over 60 countries and an impressive track record of landing tons of placements in tons of Hit TV Shows!

This Library is searching for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with these references:

"The Drum" by The Seige

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujRptOjoAQ

"See It to Believe It" by The Phantoms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ysZgA_rNc

"Get Ready" by Rayelle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpPVshOZt4I

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

Please submit well-produced Rock Instrumental Cues with killer stomp-clap rhythms, solid arrangements, rockin' guitar riffs, and a hefty dose of cool, larger-than-life swagger and energy. Your instrumentation should fall in the general wheelhouse of the references. Incorporating some additional instrumentation like trap-hats or non-lyrical vocals ("ooh's," "ahhs," "yeahs," etc.) could work for this request, as well. There is room to get creative with this request, so don't be afraid to think outside the box! Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and layer instrumentation in and out as they progress to create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and modern.

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

IMPORTANT: This Library really wants to find top-notch Composers – not just people who combine different samples or loops without altering them at all. Cleared sample libraries are okay to use, but any samples or loops you include in your pieces should be altered enough that they're distinguishable from the originals. Basically, if you Shazamed one of your tracks and another artist's song comes up, your music would definitely be disqualified by this Company.

ALSO IMPORTANT: Your Submissions can NOT be commercially released on Spotify, Apple Music, etc. OR be encumbered by ANY other publishing, licensing, administration, and/or exploitation deals (whether non-exclusive or exclusive) including publishing/licensing agreements with CD Baby, TuneCore, etc.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is not already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Saturday, November 19th, 2022. TAXI # S221119MC
Last edited by johndalenow on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

carfo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: "The Boss" Stomp/Clap Instrumental Rock Cue

Post by carfo » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:22 am

Wow. I like the vibe on this track, well done. However, IMHO, keep in mind that they aren’t looking for soundalikes:

“Cues that could be found on a playlist with these references”

“Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe.”

That being said, I’m not saying that you’re track is a soundalike, just a friendly reminder to advise you to not get too close to the references.

Again: good vibe, tempo and tone.

If I had to put my finger on a few things I feel it should have some more dynamic punch, a few more editpoints and minimal to no fade, but that’s my taste.

Looking forward to hear the finished track.

Fingers crossed for you.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:54 am

Hi, sorry to say that although the general vibe is right IMHO this one has a very long way to go. For what its worth here's what I think....

The track in its current form would most likely be returned for not being broadcast quality because the sounds and production are not there. The kick/clap is close (but take care to get the reverb right). The rest of the drums are low impact though, and I'd drop the choked cymbal (and probably revisit the loop). My starting suggestion would be to work on the drum track to get it as close as possible to the ref track(s) (sonically and style-wise, and probably using layers of hybrid sounds), then ramp up the dynamics to get maximum impact. Then sort out the bass parts. The bass guitar sound isn't working at all (its main sound is not good, and the pitch bend effect is a bit random). The fat synth could use freshening up so it comes across as cool/current (rather than old synth/home keyboard), and needs to work together with the bass so they don't tread on each other's toes (musically and frequency-wise). Bass parts especially need to be absolutely rock solid tight with the kick. The other synth sounds risk the 'dated' feedback, and the low ones are muddying the mix. The riser at 50s and 1:05s feels pasted in as an afterthought rather than mixed so it sounds like an integral part of the track, and it always needs to hit its peak bang on time with the beat (ie the kick). The final(?) chord at 1:41 doesn't sound musical, and the track needs a really good sting ending to make sure you've given an editor the option to use it to close a video sequence.

Sorry again that there's a lot of pulling apart here, but the things I've mentioned are all realistic expectations for a track to have a chance of getting forwarded, then signed by a library, then chosen by an editor to insert in a show. I hope there's something helpful in there. Good luck.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:05 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:54 am
Hi, sorry to say that although the general vibe is right IMHO this one has a very long way to go. For what its worth here's what I think....

The track in its current form would most likely be returned for not being broadcast quality because the sounds and production are not there. The kick/clap is close (but take care to get the reverb right). The rest of the drums are low impact though, and I'd drop the choked cymbal (and probably revisit the loop). My starting suggestion would be to work on the drum track to get it as close as possible to the ref track(s) (sonically and style-wise, and probably using layers of hybrid sounds), then ramp up the dynamics to get maximum impact. Then sort out the bass parts. The bass guitar sound isn't working at all (its main sound is not good, and the pitch bend effect is a bit random). The fat synth could use freshening up so it comes across as cool/current (rather than old synth/home keyboard), and needs to work together with the bass so they don't tread on each other's toes (musically and frequency-wise). Bass parts especially need to be absolutely rock solid tight with the kick. The other synth sounds risk the 'dated' feedback, and the low ones are muddying the mix. The riser at 50s and 1:05s feels pasted in as an afterthought rather than mixed so it sounds like an integral part of the track, and it always needs to hit its peak bang on time with the beat (ie the kick). The final(?) chord at 1:41 doesn't sound musical, and the track needs a really good sting ending to make sure you've given an editor the option to use it to close a video sequence.

Sorry again that there's a lot of pulling apart here, but the things I've mentioned are all realistic expectations for a track to have a chance of getting forwarded, then signed by a library, then chosen by an editor to insert in a show. I hope there's something helpful in there. Good luck.
I so thank you for your meticulous scrutiny and most helpful comments. I will re-work the track making changes. Best! John

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:10 am

carfo wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:22 am
Wow. I like the vibe on this track, well done. However, IMHO, keep in mind that they aren’t looking for soundalikes:

“Cues that could be found on a playlist with these references”

“Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe.”

That being said, I’m not saying that you’re track is a soundalike, just a friendly reminder to advise you to not get too close to the references.

Again: good vibe, tempo and tone.

If I had to put my finger on a few things I feel it should have some more dynamic punch, a few more editpoints and minimal to no fade, but that’s my taste.

Looking forward to hear the finished track.

Fingers crossed for you.
Thanks much for your comments. It's always been kind of a conundrum for me regarding what screeners think is either "too much like," or "not enough like," the references. I've only had returns based on "not enough like." Never an easy call, . . for me anyway, but again thank you for responding. All the best, John

audiogust

Post by audiogust » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:15 pm

Telefunkin gave some great feedback. I'd just reinforce that the stomp and clap parts need to be really punchy. While one of the references starts out a bit more subdued, it picks up later. The kick and snare/clap need to be powerful and the star of the piece. The bass needs to LOCK IN with the kick -- it doesn't need to be the exact rhythm, but they need to be really tight. Then, anything else is built on that foundation and can drive any melodic parts you're adding.

Good luck!
-Chris