Where to download high quality reference tracks

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

audiogust

Re: Where to download high quality reference tracks

Post by audiogust » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:15 pm

iZotope just announced a new product that may be helpful for this. It's called Audiolens and claims to let you use "reference audio from anywhere". Their site has it listed as free until Nov 22, 2022.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/audiolens.html

I'm about to install it to give it a try.

3Seas
Active
Active

Post by 3Seas » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:10 pm

audiogust wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:15 pm
iZotope just announced a new product that may be helpful for this. It's called Audiolens and claims to let you use "reference audio from anywhere". Their site has it listed as free until Nov 22, 2022.

I'm about to install it to give it a try.
Question: is it usable without the latest of ozone (ozone 10)?

I did DL and installed but have ozone 9, not 10. haven't yet tried it.

As to reference tracks, I typically log Taxi listings for offline access and use a browser plugin that makes it easy to download the youtube mp3/mp4 references Taxi typically supplies with their listings.
Using Cubase pro 12 spectralayers for vocal extraction and izotope RX8 breaking them down into vocals, bass, percussion, and other, seems to be enough,

Question: what advantage is there of a high-quality reference track? What am I missing here?

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:54 pm

is streamed music from youtube high enough quality to use as a reference for mixing?

you can still buy tracks from itunes in lossless high resolution, no?

audiogust

Post by audiogust » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:24 pm

ochaim wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:54 pm
is streamed music from youtube high enough quality to use as a reference for mixing?

you can still buy tracks from itunes in lossless high resolution, no?
For YouTube, it's kinda hard to say since they change the quality of the audio based on your network connection. Ozone will definitely notice if the reference is missing high end because it got dropped in favor of video quality and it will also notice if the audio went back to mono (which happens sometimes too) and then it will try to make your song be like that too. Personally, I'd trust a music streaming service before a video streaming one for reference tracks because they're only focused on the audio.

Lossless files from iTunes/Apple Music should always be fine.

-Chris

audiogust

Post by audiogust » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:34 pm

3Seas wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:10 pm

As to reference tracks, I typically log Taxi listings for offline access and use a browser plugin that makes it easy to download the youtube mp3/mp4 references Taxi typically supplies with their listings.
Using Cubase pro 12 spectralayers for vocal extraction and izotope RX8 breaking them down into vocals, bass, percussion, and other, seems to be enough,

Question: what advantage is there of a high-quality reference track? What am I missing here?
I'm not sure if this is supported in Ozone 9, but in Ozone 10, the references you create in the new app automatically show up as reference file based targets in the list on the Tone Match page. I don't know if you can hear the actual music that was used, you just get the Tone Match target.

-Chris

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:09 pm

muzza wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:07 pm
Hi, I have recently purchased OZONE 10, and wondering where the best place is to purchase or download top quality instrumental tracks ideal for sync in different genres. Particularly I'm looking for Piano/Strings at the moment. thanks M :?:
iZotope has a new, currently free, app called Audiolens that will capture the curves for Ozone 10 and Neutron 4 from media you stream without needing to download or capture the audio. It just came out in the last few days -- I haven't tried it yet. Here's the link:

There's a video that explains how it works at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QthtQoueUPU

3Seas
Active
Active

Post by 3Seas » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:20 pm

Ok, I see now why quality reference can be used. Ozone AI (so-called Artificial Intelligence - Dynamic Abstract Pattern Matching) So Audiolens creates the curve pattern for Ozone10/Neutron 4 to bias towards.

There is a firefox plugin that adds a youtube download button.

As to generally capturing audio from sources, regardless of source, if all your audio is going through your audio interface, then you can just do a loopback. i.e. headphone out into stereo input to a stereo track that is not feeding stereo out.

if using Yamaha/Steinberg USB drivers you will probably want version 2.0.4 as it doesn't block other audio sources when using Cubase on the PC, I don't know about other DAWs but suspect the same applies if using Yamaha/Steinberg USB drivers.
If you don't see it listed pick a link to a version and edit the link for 2.0.4 as other versions on the PC block even after exiting Cubase. Reboot is the only way to get other sounds back, i.e. youtube, system sounds, etc..

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:16 am

audiogust wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:34 pm
3Seas wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:10 pm

I'm not sure if this is supported in Ozone 9, but in Ozone 10, the references you create in the new app automatically show up as reference file based targets in the list on the Tone Match page. I don't know if you can hear the actual music that was used, you just get the Tone Match target.

-Chris
The Audiolens stuff only works for Ozone 10 and Neutron 4, and possibly only the latest updates for those (there were updates for both of those and RX10 available on the same day they announced Audiolens (not sure if they'd been released a bit earlier as I only check the iZotope Portal for updates every few weeks). Ozone 9 did not have the Tonal Balance-like curve feature for which this is creating the information.

3Seas
Active
Active

Post by 3Seas » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:36 pm

Tonal Balance from Ozone 9 can make custom curves from a file or folder containing several audio files though it may only take wav files, and you can save the custom curves. but their file extension is .json
Audiolens can handle different file types and saves to a different file extension.

so the two are not custom file compatible.

On a positive note on a loyalty price, I upgrade to music production suite 5 for half of what the current black friday $499 sale price is. Of course, this only upgrades Ozone, RX Standard, and Neutron for me as all other applications haven't changed though the Exponential Audio and Brainworx bonuses are a plus. Even at the individual applications of Ozone, RX Standard, and Neutron loyalty sale price, the Suite 5 package cost less and has bonuses. Almost made an individual app purchase mistake.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:50 pm

I tend to think that high-quality audio (fretting over 48k or 48 bit, etc) is a little overkill for Ozone or other tools. If you are focused on sync placements the main benefit is to get a good, balanced mix, and I think mp3 is fine enough for that.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic